PDA

View Full Version : sorby tools

cal thelen
08-29-2011, 2:54 AM
guy i know has a sorby 16" sovereign handle 3/8" fingernail bowl gouge and 1/2" fingernail bowl gouge. i have not seen it yet he says its almost brand new. he is asking 125 i think the price is okay compared to new at rockler, my question is any body use sorby tools and are they worth the money? or would i be better off spending alittle more and getting something Cryogenic treated. right now I am just using some harbor freight tools and I really would like to upgrade a little with out breaking the bank
lots of overtime this week 5 nights of 12 hours. so i will have a little fun money next payday. thanks for any and all opinions

Gary Max
08-29-2011, 3:37 AM
Thay have been around forever-----you can find tools that cost more but most won't feel the advantage. Sounds like a heck of a good price to me. They are still the #1 lathe tool in my shop.

John Fabre
08-29-2011, 3:45 AM
Most of my tools are Sorby's including a 22" sovereign handle and a handled 3/8" fingernail bowl gouge and 1/2" fingernail bowl gouge, great tools. I also own a Doug Thompson 1-1/4 roughing gouge with his handle, excellent tool, holds a edge longer. DT's is top of the line, I like his handles much better, fits my hand. If I didn't have so many Sorby's, I would buy more DT's.

sam upton
08-29-2011, 6:21 AM
Dpog Thompson

Josh Bowman
08-29-2011, 6:22 AM
Cal, I use the Sorby Sovereign system (rubber coated metal handle with different cutting tools) each time I turn. I like the weight and balance. Swapping cutting bits is about as easy as reaching for another tool. The bits take up little room and hold an edge well. The price sounds good. If I have it right that it's the Sorby Sovereign handle, you'll find it works with lots of other makes like Doug Thompson tools. Make sure you get the 2 little reducers. They allow the handle to be stepped down from 1/2" to 3/8" etc.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I like my Sorbys, IMO they take an edge better than other tools, but the DT and cyros hold the edge better.
For 125 bucks, 2 gouges, that's a fair deal. I'd jump on it. As mentioned, the handle fits most other shafts.