PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Firsts For Me

James Combs
08-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I wanted to try my hand at bottle stoppers and pen blank casting.

I found a 10 pack of silicone stopper tips for a small price, $5 something I think, anyway I figured if they didn't work out I wouldn't be out that much but I think it turned out pretty good. The wood is Unknowood from a foreign pallet. The finish is CA wet sanded with MM to about 4000.

The pen casting was a little tougher. I tried it three times and finally got something useful on the forth.

"A" is the first one and I might use it yet but I got in a hurry and cast it before the paint on the tube was completely dry and it melted and mixed with the resin, never thought about that. You can see the feathers in places but also the brass tube when you can see through the dark clouds of paint in the resin.
"B" is similar but I let the paint dry thoroughly but it developed bubbles. My try to use it later and see if I can fill the bubbles with CA.
"C" with those two failures I decided to try white, man what a mess that one was, just looks dirty.
"D" I think I finally got something going with this one. White tube, brown feathers and yellow coloring in the resin. As a first it wood have been great, as a fourth maybe its a "I'm getting there".

At any rate take a look and tell me what you think. The blank is on a Black & Chrome Wall Street II. Wet sanded with MM to 12000 (I think that's the grey one, my memory sucks anymore).

C&C welcomed.

Edit: BTW for those interested I used water borne poly to "glue" the feathers down to the tube before casting. As a novice at this I thought it worked real well.

Chris Burgess
08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
James you are getting me pretty excited. I have a 10 pack of bottlestoppers set to be here tuesday and I ordered a half gallon of resin to ruin that should arrive in a week or so. Really likeing the feathers. I hope mine do as well. Great job.

Jim Burr
08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Real cool JD!! You've got that down!! I had a problem with Testors paint and Michaels resin...blistered the paint on contact. Moved on to Rustoleum and so far all is good. Next time your in the mood, get a piece of 1-3/4" PVC about 2" long, mix some resin and dye up in 2 colors and case that...just finished a set of red and yellow swirl that was left over from a pour...amazing!!

Keith Westfall
08-29-2011, 12:09 AM
I agree - last one looks good - the other look like good practice of the last one.

I haven't tried this yet but would like to.

How about showing your casting setup? Would like to see that.

klw

Paul Merrill
08-29-2011, 12:44 AM
James, I'm not sure of your casting procedure, but would it be possible to somehow use your vacuuming set up when casting to eliminate air bubbles????

James Combs
08-29-2011, 9:56 AM
I agree - last one looks good - the other look like good practice of the last one.
I haven't tried this yet but would like to.
How about showing your casting setup? Would like to see that.
klw

Keith, I will put together some pics of it and start a new thread for "My Casting Setup" or something like that.

James, I'm not sure of your casting procedure, but would it be possible to somehow use your vacuuming set up when casting to eliminate air bubbles????

Paul I am not sure where the bubbles originated because I did use a vacuum system for the casting?? The last one I used a 40psi pressure pot. Some later ones (not shown here) I used both. I vacuumed for about 5 minutes then transferred the casting to the pressure pot. I still have evaluate those. The casting was a mold of 4 "trash" (other casters use a different word for otherwise nu-usable wood but it escapes me at the moment) wood blanks trying to salvage them.

As I mentioned to Keith check out my post later today on my casting setup.

Dan Hintz
08-29-2011, 10:09 AM
James,

If the bubbles were coming from air trapped in the feathers, try painting the feathers with some of the epoxy's activator to wet them down before pouring in the mixed epoxy.

Paul Heely
08-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Custom fishing rod builders often inlay feathers and face the same challenges for preventing bubbles. I never did any feather inlays, but I seem to remember there being lots of tips and tricks out there for stopping and eliminating bubbles.

Paul

David Warkentin
08-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Worthless wood is probably the words you are looking for.

James Combs
08-29-2011, 7:49 PM
Worthless wood is probably the words you are looking for.

That's it thanks, that's been bugging me ever since I posted it. lol

Marc Himes
08-29-2011, 7:58 PM
It looks like you had an interesting time learning how to do this, but that last pen is spectacular. Thanks for posting it.