PDA

View Full Version : New Stereo

Karl Laustrup
02-22-2005, 2:11 PM
Found this picture of a home stereo system on the net.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?? :eek: :cool:

Good Grief, Charlie Brown.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-22-2005, 3:09 PM
Wow!! Wouldn't want to be their neighbor!! I suppose you could say the same thing about woodworking machines too though :)

Steven Wilson
02-22-2005, 3:37 PM
The question is why?? Why have large, deep horns in a house, save those for rigging the rafters in stadiums? It's still not as impressive as the 125 4x12 Marshall cabinets on stage at the Odieum Theater in London that was a poster for Marshall one year; now that would be loud.

Lloyd Frisbee
02-22-2005, 3:47 PM
I think my neighbor has that setup in his car. At least it sounds like it. Sheesh! Glad he will be deaf before me. Is this what they mean by High Deaf?

Lloyd

Paul Geer
02-22-2005, 3:49 PM
I've seen horn systems before but never heard one. They are efficient low power systems with amplifiers no more than 25-50 watts. Usually a favorite with the tube amp crowd. Each horn handles a different frequency band; I guess the horn array in the center is the bass section. ;)

Anyway kinda neet!

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 4:58 PM
Why have large, deep horns in a house, save those for rigging the rafters in stadiums?
They don't even use them there these days very much at all...the whole reinforcement industry is more inclined to use arrays of identical, but smaller units with a few low-end subs stashed "somewhere" where they don't get in the way!

But Paul is correct, you can get a lot of air moving from a horn with not a lot of power.

Jim O'Dell
02-22-2005, 5:18 PM
I've heard of horn loaded tweeters before, but.......Jim.

Steven Wilson
02-22-2005, 5:35 PM
I guess looking at the picture these are fairly impressive, I'm just use to using horns to get a lot of throw. These may not have a bunch of throw. Looking at the curvature of the horn the may give a fairly decent image; it would be nice to hear them :)