PDA

View Full Version : FireFox 6.0

Sean Troy
08-28-2011, 9:50 PM
Anyone else having problems with this latest version of Firefox? Pages don't completely load or take forever. Very slow. Can I revert to an earlier version? Thanks, Sean

Ron Jones near Indy
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Don't have an answer for your question. It works fine for me.

Bill Huber
08-28-2011, 11:40 PM
No problems with my 6 that I have seen on any site.

mike holden
08-29-2011, 9:44 AM
Sean,
try disabling all your add-ins, you may still have an incompatible with 6 addin loaded.

FF6 works just fine for me, but I did lose a couple addins - expect they will soon be updated and reloaded, FF is good about that.

Mike

Bryan Morgan
08-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Firefox has gone downhill with the last couple versions... it gets slower and slower, addons or not. They're entering the bloat stage of software development, like all software eventually does...

Bruce Page
08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
A racing website I frequent uses flash videos that no longer load using Fire Fox 6.0. They used to load fine and still do using Chrome. I don’t know if it’s an Adobe Flash player issue or a FF issue.
I haven’t noticed any other problems with FF.

Sean Troy
08-29-2011, 3:56 PM
Yeah, it seems chrome is the fastest again. Still can't get it to work right no matter what I've tried.

Dave Lehnert
08-29-2011, 4:48 PM
I learned with my computer a long time ago if 's not broke, don't fix it.

I still run Firefox 3.xxx

Jim O'Dell
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
I've refused to update even to FF5. Still on FF4.01. Main reason is the add-ons I use, and there aren't many, haven't been updated to work with the newer versions. Until the add-ons catch up, I'll stay with what I have. Jim.

Sean Troy
08-30-2011, 8:38 AM
I uninstalled FF 6.0 and deleted any traces of it. Re installed and now it works fine.

Curt Harms
08-30-2011, 8:49 AM
A racing website I frequent uses flash videos that no longer load using Fire Fox 6.0. They used to load fine and still do using Chrome. I don’t know if it’s an Adobe Flash player issue or a FF issue.
I haven’t noticed any other problems with FF.

For flash problems, you might try Flash-Aid in the addons. You will need administrative priviledges to run it. No nasties included with it; the author is quite active in the FireFox community.

Curt Harms
08-30-2011, 8:55 AM
I've refused to update even to FF5. Still on FF4.01. Main reason is the add-ons I use, and there aren't many, haven't been updated to work with the newer versions. Until the add-ons catch up, I'll stay with what I have. Jim.

Be careful with old versions. Version 4.x is no longer supported or patched and I'm not sure about 5. 3.x.x will be supported and updated for a while, I don't know how long. Mozilla has gone with Chrome's versioning scheme where instead of 4.x.x it's now 5, 6, etc. I'm using 7 beta right now on a beta operating system. Surprisingly stable considering. Addons for 6 should be pretty well caught up. I have one addon that won't work on 7 yet. Extension writers are encouraged for make their software not version dependent and Mozilla is talking about doing away with version numbers completely. If that happens, when you click on "help" > "about" you'll see either "you have the latest version" or "click here to download the latest version".

Steve Baumgartner
08-30-2011, 11:42 AM
The problem I've had with FF starting with 5 and continuing in 6 is that it takes forever to shut down. The window disappears immediately, but if I look via task manager, the firefox process and a whole bunch of plugin containers are still running - usually just a few seconds, but sometimes for a minute or more. I've read that this is how they deal with deleting cookies if you've got that privacy setting on, but it seems pretty inept and if I get in a hurry and sleep the computer while these are still running, FF is left in a confused state and doesn't start up correctly the next time.

Bruce Page
08-30-2011, 5:11 PM
For flash problems, you might try Flash-Aid in the addons. You will need administrative priviledges to run it. No nasties included with it; the author is quite active in the FireFox community.

Thanks Curt but it looks like it is only for Linux systems.

Curt Harms
08-31-2011, 8:14 AM
Thanks Curt but it looks like it is only for Linux systems.

Sorry Bruce, didn't know that. The other thing might be the uninstall flash, run CCCleaner or another registry/trash cleaner, shut down then restart & reinstall. I haven't run FireFox in Windows for a year or more so I'm not up to speed on the rapid-fire releases.