PDA

View Full Version : Hey Keith...............

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2011, 9:31 PM
It's nice to see SMC back online.

I hope you folks survived the storm with minimal property damage and no bodily harm!

Kevin W Johnson
08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, it's great to see SMC back online. I've been out to see Keith before, so knowing where he is had me a little worried. I'm sure he'll post some specifics for us when he gets time. I'm guessing he's rather busy with cleanup at the moment.

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2011, 10:56 PM
That was my first though too, he's the only one I know in that area and then SMC goes down. Not a good sign.

Keith Outten
08-29-2011, 7:42 AM
We were very fortunate!

The storm was mild in our area as hurricanes go, the winds only took trees that were weak and the storm surge never came close to our property. Naturally we had a lot of rain and it lasted for a long time. We lost electrical power at about midnight Saturday and it was restored Sunday at about 5pm. Normally, because we are in a rural area, we are the last to have power restored but this time we were among the first. There are a lot of people without electricity this morning and we are hearing that it may be two weeks before everyone is connected again.

The damage here was nothing more than some tree limbs in the yard, Mother Nature just did some house cleaning. My next door neighbor lost two small trees and that is about all there was to Irene here in our section of Gloucester County. I have seen a lot of these storms, lived here most of my life so I know how bad they can be and I know we were lucky this time.

Once the power was restored I started up our network but couldn't get access to the server. Aaron Koehl had to work with our bandwidth provider for several hours to resolve an IP address problem on their side otherwise we would have been back online much sooner.

There were nine lives lost in North Carolina and Virginia and a lot of property damaged, we are counting our blessings this morning as all of my family are well, just living without air conditioning in very humid conditions so we have much to be thankful for this morning. With the AC restored here at my home I got a good nights sleep last night and I am ready to get back to the job of picking up tree limbs which will take most of today to finish.

The hurricane season is still young, there may be more.........

It's great to be back online again, even though our absence was brief this time :)

ray hampton
08-29-2011, 3:05 PM
Keith , if you use a battery back-up, would the start-up be better

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2011, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the update Keith! Very happy to hear that damage was minimal!

Keith Outten
08-29-2011, 9:06 PM
Ray,

We have a pretty expensive battery backup system, the problem we had involved our providers network not ours.

ray hampton
08-29-2011, 9:53 PM
when the network providers got problems and have to shut -down, how many millions will they lose each day ?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2011, 9:55 PM
Ray.......the network providers have contracts with most users and thus they probably don't lose anything......

ray hampton
08-30-2011, 12:03 AM
do you mean that the network or internet providers shut-down because of electric black-out that they will not suffer money lose ?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-30-2011, 12:08 AM
That's correct.
I pay my cable bill monthly. If for some reason the cable company has an outage, I still have to pay the full amount...it's not prorated in most of those contracts and loss of service due to a hurricane is probably considered an "act of God" and thus the internet provider wouldn't be held liable for loss of service. You'd still have to pay the full amount. BTW..that is a good example as my cable company is also my IP.

ray hampton
08-30-2011, 1:23 PM
it had been a while but when I lose internet or cable service [same provider] if I complain to the office , they would give me credit for the days that I did not had internet

Matt Meiser
08-30-2011, 7:00 PM
If you complained to the office after a hurricane, I have a pretty good guess as to what the people in the office would be be calling you behind your back.

ray hampton
08-30-2011, 8:55 PM
Matt, the people that call me names behind my back scared the living daylight out of me because anyone that will talk about you or me behind our backs will attack us from the back, the cable and internet providers need to install a meter that would show the amount of usage or to tell the office when the service are down, since I switch to the cable company for my internet service, my internet can go down but I still can watch the cable, the bill are for x number of days and if sometime happen to my computer for a week or more then I will tell the office to reduce the bill

Matt Meiser
08-30-2011, 9:21 PM
the cable and internet providers need to install a meter that would show the amount of usage

Careful what you wish for. Its called metered bandwidth. And it won't save you any money. You'll pay at least what you pay now, plus a fee for any usage beyond a certain number of GB.

ray hampton
08-30-2011, 9:47 PM
JUST once , I want to think of a idea before someone else invent it