PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Post!!

Rick Castrios
02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
After several years of lurking I am finally posting one of my turnings. It is a 8" cherry peppermill finished with Waterlox and paste wax as a gift for my wife. I hope to post more in the future now that I have my photography at a point where it is somewhat decent... I think. I have been turning now for just over three years. Before that I enjoyed building cabinetry, bedroom and office furniture. I caught the bug after visiting my friend John's shop and getting a very good hands on lesson in segmented wood turning. Needless to say I have not made anything square in a long time. I have found that I really enjoy turning segmented pieces but also like to explore with solid wood from time to time. I have a Jet 1440 lathe which I have been extremely happy with one small exception of having to frequently clean the reaves drive. Enjoy the picture and any critiques or comments are definitely welcome.

Stefan Antwarg
02-22-2005, 1:20 PM
Wow - that's real nice. Is there a plan for that, or did you just come up with it yourself and add the hardware?

Stefan

Karl Laustrup
02-22-2005, 1:26 PM
Wow! Very nice Rick. :)

That's what I'm interested in turning once I get one of them spinny thingys. Of course I also want to turn some bowls and pens and........ Obviously I would have enough things to learn once I get a lathe. Just waiting to get Bill G's video so I can watch it with the LOML and maybe get her interested also. That might help get one quicker.;) :D
Glad your posting. Hope to see many more pics of your projects in the future.

Rick Castrios
02-22-2005, 1:44 PM
Wow - that's real nice. Is there a plan for that, or did you just come up with it yourself and add the hardware?

Stefan
Hey Thanks!!!!

No plans. LOML simply showed me a picture from a catalog and said "this is the shape I like". I just went from there. The hardware kit came with simple instructions for the length, inside dia. etc.

Rick

Jeff Sudmeier
02-22-2005, 2:02 PM
Rick,

Welcome to SMC!! As you know, you have joined a great forum. The pepper mill looks great! Good job.

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 4:53 PM
Welcome, Rick! Nice mill, too...we like to see pictures of projects!!

Jim Stastny
02-22-2005, 5:54 PM
NIce job. The wood looks like it has some very nice color and figure.

Alan Ryalls
02-23-2005, 1:03 PM
hi rick and welcome,that is a nice turning keep it up and lets have some more.
regards alan...........

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2005, 1:32 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek Rick! Nice project.

Rick Castrios
02-23-2005, 3:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the peppermill and the warm SMC welcome!

Rick

Lou Morrissette
02-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Rick. Great place to hang out and lots to learn from some great folks. Nice job on the pepermill. Real nice finish.

Lou

Ted Shrader
02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Rick -
Very nice mill. . . . And Welcome to the Creek. Glad to have you!

Ted