PDA

View Full Version : Pen question.

Betty Fox
08-27-2011, 11:37 PM
I think it would be cool to turn wedding pens with lace in them. Maybe an acrylic with lace embedded in it. Anyone know of anything like that?

David E Keller
08-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I can't imagine why the lace couldn't be wrapped around the tubes and cast in clear resin... I've never seen one done that way, but I've seen yarn and thread used for cast blanks. Calling Jim Burr and Lupe Duncan...

James Combs
08-28-2011, 9:22 PM
I just completed my first casting with feathers, only took three tries. I will be doing a separate post here in a few minutes but I am thinking that if feathers can be done there is no reason that lace couldn't be done. I'm guessing but I would think that lace would be easier then feathers.

Jim Burr
08-28-2011, 10:55 PM
You could cast that Betty...use a longer tube, tie the lace with thread at the ends, cap the tubes and pour with clear PR. When it's cured, cut the tube to length and turn. Paint the tubes a contrasting color and keep in mind the old combo of Testors paint and Michaels PR resin is no longer compatible. A good mold for this would be piece of 3/4" PVC.

James Combs
08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Betty, I just posted the cast feathers pen (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171751-A-Couple-of-Firsts-For-Me) I mentioned earlier. Of note in it is the use of water borne poly as the glue to attach the feathers to the tube. I recommend it if you find that you need someway to glue down an edge of the lace.

Betty Fox
08-29-2011, 9:13 AM
Beautiful feathers James. I haven't done any casting. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any stores where I could buy some lace in resin. Thanks for the info.

Peter Hay in Aus
08-30-2011, 7:28 PM
Betty,

Your thought of embedding lace in resin has merit however it by word association to me would carry another inference for the groom what would you suggest?

For our 50th wedding anniversary some years ago I made around 50 pens using 3000 yr old Huon Pine Burl for the men in our family and for the woman my wife sewed small hinge lidded boxes with a piece of her wedding dress enclosed, the sleeveless pullover I wore with my suit was cut up and formed the lining of the box top.

Please find two examples of pens from my friend Les in Canada one using shredded currency and another a tied fly and Pheasant feather one either side of the pen as examples of material that can be encapsulated this way IMHO Lace would be quite simple for casting people many of these people are found on another site beginning with International.

Have success and enjoy the wedding.206410206411

Betty Fox
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Peter,
Yes lace would be for the bride. I'm thinking a black and white pen for the groom or an encapsulated tie clip or some such. Sounds like you had a great fiftieth wedding anniversary. Most of the people on this site are very creative and the pens are gorgeous. I'll check around and see if I can find this International place. (P.s. My husband is a regular visitor there so he can show me how to find someone who might pour some lace for me. Why didn't I think of that?)
Betty