PDA

View Full Version : Swat

David E Keller
08-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Having a great time at the meeting! Lots of Creekers here and loads of talented turners.... I didn't bring a camera, but I'm sure somebody else did.I've succumbed to Mike Smith and a number of other vendors so far. Mike had a big box of Claro in his truck that he was hauling around for somebody... He forgot who it was for, was tired of hauling it, and he made me a heck of a deal on some beautiful wood... The outside of the box says Keeton on it, but that's probably just a coincidence.

Marty Eargle
08-27-2011, 1:11 PM
I'm not concerned with what you got off Mike as long as he's on his way back to NC. My stock of blanks is getting a little low. :)

Glad to hear SWAT is going well. Hope I get the chance to make it to an event one day...sounds like an invaluable resource and a great time.

Jim Burr
08-27-2011, 1:32 PM
Ha!!! I grabbed the box of BLM the poor guys was hauling...Keeton was scratched out...with a Sharpie. What a deal!

John Keeton
08-27-2011, 2:22 PM
Mike had a big box of Claro in his truck that he was hauling around for somebody... He forgot who it was for, was tired of hauling it, and he made me a heck of a deal on some beautiful wood... The outside of the box says Keeton on it, but that's probably just a coincidence.:eek::eek::eek:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Keller, you and Jim have ruined my weekend!!!!!!!

charlie knighton
08-27-2011, 2:44 PM
David, keep up the good reporting, i guess its easier to chose wood if it had been reserved

Scott Hackler
08-27-2011, 3:40 PM
I thought the words "Keaton" on the box was a typo for "Claro"! :)Im keeping an eye on Keller to make sure he doesn't buy too many raffle tickets a ruin my odds at a new lathe! He, myself and Kelvin are currently watching Nick Arnal doing a demo.

David E Keller
08-27-2011, 8:56 PM
Hackler was just recognized for his Beads of Courage box with ladybugs and won some awfully nice prizes. Kelvin Burton was also recognized with some great prizes for his 'Apple with Worm' box. Creekers won a third of the big prizes in the drawing! I can assure you that both prizes were well deserved, and the whole thing was for a great cause. There were about 100 pieces entered for the Beads of Courage!

BTW, announced attendance is 808 people!

David Warkentin
08-27-2011, 9:49 PM
Wow! Sounds like a good time.

Kelvin Burton
08-27-2011, 10:28 PM
What a night! As David has already said, Creekers were well represented! The banquet was great, I was honored with 5th place in the Beads of Courage awards and my wife won a beautiful platter in the raffle! To cap that off we won the table center piece from our table! Add that to a great day of demonstrations and tool shopping and the only thing that could beat it would be to win one of the lathes tomorrow!!!!

Scott Hackler
08-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Back off Kelvin... that Stubby lathe is mine! :)

Dan Henry
08-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Another great SWAT symposium! I have attended since 99 and they just get better and better, the most attendees, the most venders and some great demos and the best of all is the camaraderie among all the attendees. Put this on your calendar for 2012, the last week end in Aug.

Dan

Alan Trout
08-28-2011, 10:27 PM
As always a good time by all. A great SWAT symposium.

Alan

Kelvin Burton
08-28-2011, 10:30 PM
BOTH lathes went to the same guy in the raffle - and as far as I know he wasn't a "Creeker". Oh well, maybe next year ....

Gilbert Vega
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
BOTH lathes went to the same guy in the raffle - and as far as I know he wasn't a "Creeker". Oh well, maybe next year ....

Oh yes I am!! Since I already have a fairly new Powermatic I sold it at the show. Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep the Stubby or my "old" Powermatic. Any thoughts?

Alan Trout
08-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Gilbert, That is the gloat of all gloats for sure. Congratulations.

Alan

Scott Hackler
08-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Congrats to you Gilbert! I know someone who would almost drive back down to Texas for that stubby if it was a super deal!!! I really wanted to win a new lathe and stop having to move the stinking belt to change the speed like I do now. Oh well. I guess I will keep saving. Had a great time there and was fortunate to spend a great deal of my time with Dave Keller and Jim Adkins. Had a great time getting to know them better and become friends in "real life". Their wifes were a treat to be around as well. My wife and Keller's seem to hit it off as well!Had some other nice long conversations with Kelvin Burton (and I got to meet his wife), Doug Thompson, Bill Basic, Alan Trout, Doug Fisher, and a whole bunch of others. I used my gift certificate from the 6th place finish on my lady bug pot, to by a darn face shield so you all will shut up about it! And a got a nice sack full of wood from Mike Smith. A hand full of tools later and after waisting too much money on the raffle tickets ........ I was done!We got back home in Kansas about 30 minutes ago. TIME FOR BED!Oh .....and befor I forget it.... Jim Adkins is so awesome that he brought Keller and myself a giant block of figured redwood, apiece! WOW! I just have to decide what to make out of it.

Gilbert Vega
08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks. I was in shock when I won the first one and in double shock when I won the second lathe. My hands were totally shaking when I was signing the IRS forms from the adrenaline rush. Hoping I don't wake up tomorrow and find out it was all a dream.

sam upton
08-29-2011, 6:35 AM
Yes, SWAT was a real good time. It was great to see Keller again & meet his wife as well as Scott & his wife, & others. Thanks to my wife, I scored some new tools that had been on my wish list, & when she spotted a nice large black cherry burl, she insisted that we arrive early sunday morning so we would be the first in line to buy that.
Sam

charlie knighton
08-29-2011, 7:46 AM
Gilbert, congratulations, you just need 2 more shops now......what's that saying, whoever has the most tools......

thanks for the updates....sounds like a good time.....east coast, hurricane....texas has swat

neil mackay
08-29-2011, 7:51 AM
The outside of the box says Keeton on it, but that's probably just a coincidence.

;) for sure.....

Larry Pickering
08-29-2011, 9:39 AM
I managed to snatch the huge big leaf burl, away from David. a good time was had by all.

I arrived home around 1 AM, then had to get up, at 5 AM, had to beat the wife to work, to hide the truck load of wood, before she gets here.

Larry

David E Keller
08-29-2011, 10:46 AM
It was a great weekend! I met at least a dozen Creekers, and it was really great to put faces and personalities with the names. Larry is not kidding about the truckload of wood or the giant BLM burl... I can't wait to see what comes from some of that fantastic wood.

I spent a lot of time with Scott Hackler and his better half... I think our wives might be dangerous if left alone together near a bar! Jim and Jeri Adkins are a fantastic couple of people, and I look forward to continued friendships with them as well. As a first time symposium attendee, I learned a lot from viewing the pieces in the instant gallery... I've got a long way to go before I reach the level of many of the contributors there. I can tell you that Hackler, Adkins, and Alan Trout all do really nice work that is so much more impressive in person. Mike and Cynthia Gibson were both really lovely people, and their pieces are inspiring. Bob Rosand's pieces really struck a chord with me, too!

I bought several of Doug Thompson's tools and a new handle to try. I picked up a few tiny hollowing tools from Gladstone and some sanding stuff from Vince Welch. I left a little cash with Mike Smith... He couldn't have been a nicer guy, and I'm sure I'll be ordering from him in the future... The Keeton claro alone was worth the trip! A new parting tool, some buffing wheels, and a couple other chunks of wood completed the purchases for me.

Sam and Valerie Upton were fun to visit with again although I didn't get to see them as much as I would have liked... We did manage a little parking lot exchange on the way out, and I really appreciate the goodies!With nothing to compare it to, I thougt SWAT was very well organized, and the people were all so friendly! I'd highly recommend the symposium to anyone interested... I doubt that this will be my last SWAT.

Marc Himes
08-29-2011, 8:18 PM
I have never been to SWAT, but have been to two AAW symposia both of which were great experiences. It sounds like SWAT is right up there with them and will have to go on my wish list. I am glad you guys enjoyed your time there. It sounds like you came home with some great wood and tools too.

Don Geiger
08-30-2011, 6:18 PM
I flew home late Monday. Thanks to everyone that came by to say "Hi" or to introduce themselves. We had a great show. Johannes Michelsen turned in our booth all weekend so I got a first hand up and close look at his techniques. What a talented guy!!! He said that he has turned over 6,000 hats in various forms (no wonder he knows how to do it!).

He and his wife Deb are great folks.

Don Geiger

Scott Hackler
08-30-2011, 9:25 PM
It was good to me you Don and I sure wish I lived in Florida so when you upgrade I could buy your ole used up Robust! lol

I watched Johannes for quite a while as he was turning a hat for the owner of the demo Robust American Beauty lathe! He sure draws a crowd once he starts turning. It cracks me up to see him break out his rifle shaped and sized parting tool. Wow that thing was a monster. I would have bought one of his little hats but the price was a bit more than I wanted to spend on a non-tool purchase. (but worth it).

Doug W Swanson
08-30-2011, 9:36 PM
Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep the Stubby or my "old" Powermatic. Any thoughts?

Can you fit either in a Flat Rate box? Send the one you don't want to me! I'd love to upgrade from my Jet 1236!!

Congrat's on the gloat!

Gilbert Vega
08-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Looks like I'm going to keep the Stubby and see how I like it. A buddy of mine is buying my 3520b.

Kelvin Burton
08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Gilbert,

Keep us posted on your thoughts on your new Stubby! A bunch of us were drooling over the possibility of owning it :-) Sorry I didn't realize you were a "Creeker"! Look forward to hearing how this new lathe works out for you .. and hoping I'm lucky next year!!

Kelvin

David E Keller
08-31-2011, 9:25 AM
I hope Gilbert is not entering the B&B contest... I'm not sure I could handle watching him take both top prizes!

Gilbert Vega
08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
B&B contest? I don't think I'm in it.

Kelvin, I should get the lathe next week. I'll report back after I use it for a while.

Gilbert

Don Geiger
09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
It was great to meet you too. Johannes told me he has turned 6,000 hats in various forms. It was quite an education to watch him perfom. I received my American Beauty in November. Since I received it there have been quite and impressive list of people use it for demos: Jimmy Clewes, David Ellsworth, Malcolm Tibbets, Rudy Lopez, Steve Marlow, Don Watson, and of course me (I've listed only the professionals that have used it) have turned on this one. I guess I should have had each one of them sign it.

I look forward to seeing you at future woodturning venues.

Don

charlie knighton
09-01-2011, 3:51 PM
Don, all those signatures on a lathe would be much better than a painted one. IMO