PDA

View Full Version : Inlay flexibility

Matt Newton
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a stash of inlay from my grandfather that I want to use. The problem I'm running into is when I try to make it take a curve, it breaks apart. Is there any way to make the inlay more pliable so it will stay intact? I've used blue painters tape as a backing while applying it using contact cement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn Pixley
08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
What material is the inlay? Most of the shells will not bend they need to be shaped to fit. With other materials, there are various techniques. I inlay Wood, Shell and silver.

Matt Newton
08-29-2011, 7:31 AM
It's regular wood inlay strips. 1/4 inch or so.

Frank Drew
08-29-2011, 9:27 AM
Matt,

If it's flat inlay 1/4" wide, it might be difficult to get into a curved shape; narrower material, or inlay that's more or less square in section, can be softened and made pliable with a preliminary soak in hot water, then fastened down in the correct curve while it dries. Then lay it with glue where it's supposed to go.

To achieve a curved inlay in the width you describe, you might have to do it in separate, narrower, pieces.

Mike Henderson
08-29-2011, 9:28 AM
There's a limit to how much you can bend 1/4" material, but within that amount you might try soaking the strips in water and then bending them while wet. You can tape them in place while they dry. I would not use contact cement for a number of reasons, I'd prefer a regular wood glue. When gluing, you can hold things in place with a caul with waxed paper between the work and the caul.

Mike