PDA

View Full Version : In the wake of Irene

Michael Ginsberg
08-27-2011, 11:19 AM
To all of you in the wake if Irene, I hope you all stay safe.

Michael

Steve Vaughan
08-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Yup, you'd better watch out for her too. She's heading your way!:eek: So far here in Chesterfield, VA, lots of wind with some big gusts. Quite a few trees down, some power outages. Nothing like VA Beach and NC though!

Michael Ginsberg
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a Maple about three feet in diameter twenty feet from the house. If something goes bad... I will have a very, very big piece of maple to work with. Just hope it falls away from the house!! Fingers are crossed. Ground is already saturated and we are supposed to get 80mph winds Sat night through Sunday night.

Marty Eargle
08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Lots of wind and a bit of rain here, right outside of Raleigh. Lots of skinny pine trees swaying around me. Just saw video of where I lived during college underwater.

Stay safe, Creekers!

Betty Fox
08-27-2011, 3:05 PM
Stay safe all you Southerners. I do miss the heat but I DON'T miss the wind and rain.

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2011, 6:36 PM
Called my sister in Washington, NC and she said big winds, at the time around 11 am there time around 7 inches of rain, and bracing for flooding. She said if they could just make it past 3 pm she thought they would be ok. House was flooded the last two hurricanes and she said I am tired of fixing up.

Tim Thiebaut
08-27-2011, 7:52 PM
Yup..hope you all out that way stay safe! Get out if you have to and go somewhere safe...my dad is right outside DC, hope it dosnt hit there to bad he cant move on his own at this point.

Robert Newton
08-27-2011, 9:09 PM
The only good thing is that there will be plenty of wood to turn.

phil harold
08-27-2011, 9:36 PM
The only good thing is that there will be plenty of wood to turn.keep the chainsaw sharp!

Jerry Lawrence
08-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Not a lot of big wind up here where I live in Vermont, but lots of rain! Check out the weather channel's website and click to see some of the pics and vids of Vermont's flooding. Many main streets destroyed and underwater, along with at least a few historic covered bridges washed away. Witnessed some of it firsthand, though no damage to my own property or family and friends...thank God for that! Overall not a pretty sight :(

Donny Lawson
08-29-2011, 6:43 AM
Well, now that she is gone anyone lose anything or anything damaged?

Jerry Lawrence
08-29-2011, 8:04 PM
Flooding was still ongoing here today, living right by the CT River. All the stuff to our north still had to wash its way down to us! Lots of devastation around this part of the state.

Jake Helmboldt
08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Lost a few trees. After Isabell in 2003 we didn't have many to lose (lost 52 trees then on less than three acres). But in the making lemonade category, I now have some nice creamy white hackberry blanks to turn and will have some nice big sassafrass blanks and crotches when I clean up the neighbors' tree (not to mention firewood). So all is not lost.

Errrr, well, except for the power. I won't be turning anything this week since we won't have electricity for the remainder of the week, and perhaps then some. Nice cool nights at least. It would be lousy if it was hot and muggy with no AC.

Steve Vaughan
08-30-2011, 8:30 AM
Finally back online at the office. Home still without power, lost it right after my post above back on Saturday. Thankful for my generator. This thing looked just shy of what Isabel did to us a few years ago. Many, many trees down around here, lots of power lines and trees down in the road, many home damaged severely. No damage personally, neighbor lost about 12 trees, helped him cut 5 off his driveway Sunday a.m. Got power companies from everywhere Alabama to Michigan around here working hard to get power, and we sure appreciate that. Everybody busy helping everybody.

Betty Fox
08-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Steve,
That's what I've always experienced. Neighbors helping neighbors is the best remedy for shared hardship. It's good to own a chainsaw and very nice of you to share yours with the neighbor.

Michael Ginsberg
08-30-2011, 1:23 PM
Hello Everyone.
Well.. Got through Irene without any damage. The grill was not so lucky. I wanted a Weber anyway. The large maple limb that squashed it brushed up against the house. The rest of the tree (which was a Norway Maple) came down in my neighbors yard. It is bieing cut down as we speak. I am having the tree guy save me a 6 foot long section from the trunk. I think it will be rotted in the middle though. My neighbor has a Silver Maple that is leaning towards his house. They went to take down that tree ,but, they need to get a crane in next week. I should have another chunk of wood next week! Everybody I know lost power. Somehow we avoided the loss. We still have 600,000 peaople without power in our little state of CT. After all said and done, we and the house didn't get hurt, I got some maple, and a weber!

Steve Vaughan
08-30-2011, 5:50 PM
Forgot to add...lathe works great, too, on 12,000 watts!