PDA

View Full Version : Internet TV?

Bonnie Campbell
08-27-2011, 1:03 AM
My satellite reception has reached zero due to trees on a hillside. With the TV viewing available on the internet I'd like to go that way. Is there a simple way of doing it through a DSL hook up? I checked GoogleTv, but you need to have a working satellite or cable. Cable, as far as I can find out, isn't available here. I don't want to sit at my computer to watch TV shows. I'd be willing to pay for a dependable service even.

Sorry if this question has been asked. I tried a search and didn't find anything.

Gerold Griffin
08-27-2011, 9:01 AM
Bonnie: We have a second computer hooked up to out entertainment center with Windows Media Center on it. We just get on line, drop that screen down (whatever site your connected to) bring up the Media Center and it gives a list various shows and trailers. It also has a list of channels that you can sort thru for different shows.
I know you can go to cbs.com and watch thier programs there and I would guess some of the other networks would have the same thing, if you can find them. Before I would go to the hassel of moving a computer or expense of another one I personnally would reccommend that you get in touch with Dennys TV antenna. They do not deal with the little indoor antenna's that you find listed on antennaweb but rather with the big bad boys that bring in. For example that web site told me that we could only get 1 channel. Called Denny's (not connected to them in any way, just a happy customer) and they told me that with this one system I should get over a dozen differant stations, and named them. Talked it over with the wife and we got it, antenna, rotor, and small signal amp. Got it in and put up and the first thing we noticed was the picture was better than what we got off of the satellite. Granted, you will not get HBO or Showtime from an antenna but you can get Netflix to take care of the movies.
Hope this gives you something to think about.

Kevin W Johnson
08-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Gerold, she can try streaming shows from ABC and CBS, however, (and her point) she is on DSL which most likely isnt capable of doing so. She MIGHT be able to do this if she is VERY close to the switch equipment. If she's on the outer limits, it's not happening.

Bonnie, try streaming tv from ABC and CBS and see what happens, it's doubtful that your internet is fast enough, but you never know till you try.

tyler mckee
08-28-2011, 11:46 PM
I've used hulu+, streaming through my blu ray player, worked good had lots of content, was about $8 a month. Don't know about your dsl connection speed, had no trouble on my cable.

Bonnie Campbell
08-29-2011, 2:12 PM
My DSL connection isn't the fastest. I'm trying to catch the next door neighbor at home since I know she has cable. Nobody seems to know what cable company is here. You would think the Chamber of Commerce would know what businesses are here :confused: Looking at all the satellite dishes in town, I figure cable is avoided if possible.

John Shuk
08-29-2011, 8:36 PM
I get a full 3 megs on my dsl and streaming netflix and some other stuff is no real problem for me. A ROKU box http://www.roku.com/ is a great way to streaming. It is mainly an access point to a variety of services that you get content from. I've also have been eyeing the google equipped Sony Internet tvs. I like the Android interface and just trying it out in the store it seems really nice.

Joel Goodman
08-29-2011, 8:45 PM
If you have a Mac, Apple TV deals w Netflix, Itunes etc. and sends it to your hi def TV. Don't have one but my son does and seems happy with it. It's $100. Not sure if it's better or worse than the Roku box.... and whether it can stream without the computer!

Bonnie Campbell
08-29-2011, 9:12 PM
No mac here. That Roku looks interesting. Going through the site to see exactly what it entails. I'm not a computer geek/nerd, so I get lost easily lol

John Shuk
09-01-2011, 9:56 AM
Alot of the content on Apple TV is not free and I don't find Apple pricing on things to be much of a bargain. That's what keeps me away. I like Apple stuff but I do find them to be too restrictive for me.

John Shuk
09-01-2011, 9:58 AM
I install FIOS for a living so I hook alot of this kind of stuff up for people. The ROKU really is pretty excellent IMO.

Ben Hatcher
09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a Roku. It was very easy to set up. The model I have connects to my wireless network. All I had to do was select my network from the list and type in the password. Some of the content requries a subscription, like Netflix or Hulu which run about $10 each. I went without cable all summer. Hockey and Football season, however, made me return to cable. I think I could order NHL center ice on the Roku for $150 for the season, which whouldn't have been too bad. The main complaint that I had was that even though my box was HD, the picture quality wasn't all that great. Still, Netflix and Hulu were like having the biggest DVR filled with almost every show made. Some shows were only available on the web version of Hulu, so I couldn't watch them on my Roku.

Myk Rian
09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Mount the satellite dish on a taller pole, or tower.
Rohn makes good ones.

Jim Laumann
09-01-2011, 6:39 PM
My thanks to those of you who mentioned the Roku boxes - those look like they may be a solution for us - we live in a rural area - no cable, no dish, etc.

Jim

Myk Rian
09-01-2011, 7:16 PM
My thanks to those of you who mentioned the Roku boxes - those look like they may be a solution for us - we live in a rural area - no cable, no dish, etc.

Jim
No dish? Come on now. You can be in the middle of the Sahara desert and have dish TV.

Bonnie Campbell
09-01-2011, 9:03 PM
I went ahead and purchased a Roku and it should get here tomorrow. I'll try connecting it up. If I can't, my nerdy SIL should be able to do the job. Hopefully it does okay here.

Myk, if dealing with Dish Network, or Directv for that matter, they will NOT take care of any dish that is higher than 4ft around here. You can get a third party installer to put in ANYTHING, but that doesn't mean the companies will help you out when you have LOS issues. My dish was on a 12 ft pole when I moved in here, so I 'thought' it would be okay. If the hillside ever gets logged off I'll be able to have satellite again....