PDA

View Full Version : Miter Table Stand Idea

Dave Aronson
08-26-2011, 11:16 PM
So I have and idea that I was wondering if this would work for a garage shop with limited wall space.

I want to build a miter saw table in 12' of space.

___ | __ | ___
-- --

3' 2' 2' 2' 3'

The idea is to have a 3' table on each end with a drop down section for the saw (I'm just estimating 2') next to each of those ends and a 2' table in the center. I would make a table top place to place over the unused section.

This would give me 8' on an end and 4' on the other. That would work left or right.

Does this make sense?

johnny means
08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I think your idea for dual positions for the saw is great. But, being able to switch which end had the 4' and 8' capacities seems rather pointless to me. Either way you can't cut an 10 or 12 footer in half. I think you should rethink where the two positions would be. Maybe one should be centered, which would cover the vast majority of cuts and one that would cover your maximum anticipated length.

Glen Butler
08-27-2011, 3:08 AM
Your design makes sense, but you didn't say why. I can see the wisdom in your design but really only if one end of the table needs to be in a corner and there is limited room to hang long on the other end. When the saw is on the corner end it gives you 12' on the other side of the blade, but when the saw is on the other end you will be able to cut that 12' in half. If you don't have room to hang long on one side of the table, I don't see how you gain anything by having two possible saw positions.

Dave Aronson
08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
The reason for the limited space is just the lack of wall space and on one side there is an cabinet that can't be moved :-( (My wife's) I think that 90% of the time I won't need to switch sides but the occasional time I need to cut on a specific side does come up. I like the center position idea. Maybe I can mount the saw on a t-track so I can slide it in a range ?

Bruce Wrenn
08-27-2011, 8:19 PM
ShopNotes, issue 110, page 14 has an idea you could probably use. "Wall mounted Miter Saw Station"