PDA

View Full Version : 8" Jointer -- New Shop Fox VS used Powermatic

Andre Cormier
08-26-2011, 9:06 PM
Good day, I was planning to buy a new shop fox W1741 8" parallelogram jointer delivered for just under 1000$. *I recently came across a used Powermatic PJ-882 8" parallelogram that is 2 years old and appears in excellent condition with mobile base. *I see the PJ-882 can be had for 2000$ online, *and the guy is asking 1400$. *Not sure how low he would go but sounds like he wants it gone as he is moving soon. Both jointers have normal cutters. So, new Fox or used Powermatic? Thanks

Paul McGaha
08-26-2011, 9:21 PM
Powermatic.

I've had one since I think 2005.

The strength of the PJ-882 is the tables are combined about 7 ft long.

Good power. Good dust collection. Nothing not to like.

Not sure where you live but there is a like new PJ-882 with a Byrd head in the Baltimore craigs list for $1800. Pretty sure he's a creeker.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Cary Falk
08-26-2011, 9:38 PM
I bought my W1741 about 3 years ago. I put a spiral head in it a couple years ago. I have about $950 in it. I am still very happy with it. I guess it depends how low he goes. I would choose a Shop Fox with spiral head over the PM for the same money.

David Kumm
08-26-2011, 9:39 PM
If you can see the PM and check the tables for flat and co planar take it. I don't have enough faith in todays cast iron standards to buy a sight unseen jointer although the parallelogram design is less risky than the wedge bed. Dave

Andre Cormier
08-26-2011, 10:01 PM
I guess I will have to go check it out. Any tips on checking for flatness/coplanar. I have a 24" straight edge, will that do or should I invest in a longer edge.AC

John P Clark
08-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a PJ 882 and it is a great jointer. I would buy the PM over the shop fox any day of the week

David Nelson1
08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Powermatic.

I've had one since I think 2005.

The strength of the PJ-882 is the tables are combined about 7 ft long.

Good power. Good dust collection. Nothing not to like.

Not sure where you live but there is a like new PJ-882 with a Byrd head in the Baltimore craigs list for $1800. Pretty sure he's a creeker.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Your Right he is live up by the fairgrounds.

David Kumm
08-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Andre, At the very least get a long level and some feeler gauges. The tables can be corrected if off as long as they don't have a hump or valley in them. Co planar can be adjusted. Check the fence for flat up and down. That is more important than end to end. There should be no vibration when running. Parallelogram can be adjusted at all corners so if tables are flat you are good to go and the age means they will most likely stay that way. Dave

David Nelson1
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Here is a plug for Hugh's jointer. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169735-One-Year-Old-Powermatic-8-quot-Jointer-w-Byrd-Shelix-PJ-882HH&highlight=

Jeff Duncan
08-27-2011, 2:44 PM
The most important thing to check is if the tables are flat, adjustments for most other things can be made later. If you have a good table saw you can make a straightedge that will get you by, just by ripping a nice straight length of mdf. If there's enough deviation to cause problems the mdf will be plenty to show it. A short square can help you check across the width.

My opinion of feeler gauges is they're better suited to really fine tuning, if the tables bowed by such a small amount you need a feeler gauge to find it, it's not a problem.

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
08-27-2011, 3:48 PM
Jeff is correct. I use feeler gauges to put numbers to the error- I'm a bean counter. A hump or valley at.004 is a lot different than .014 and my eyes can't deal with that anymore. The little brain I have left converts things to numbers. Dave

Andre Cormier
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Well I bought it. Got him down to 1150 and he let me use his trailer to bring it home, so I think it was an ok deal. I could not find anything wrong with the flatness of the tables. I did find a slight valley in the fence lengthwise but up and down was near perfect. So I am happy with my purchase. Now I just need to learn how to use it, my first few test boards were a little concave. Not much really but I could see a little light pass through when I put the boards together. I suspect beginner error or fine tuning is in order. Thais for your help!!!

David Kumm
08-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Well done Andre. You may find the tables need some adjusting but the fence being good is a big deal. Make yourself some holders with a wooden lip on the end and keep your hands away. Dave

Rick Fisher
08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Good for you Andre..

Much of using a jointer is technique.. you need to pass a bunch of boards over it before it starts to work well.

Glen Butler
08-31-2011, 2:26 AM
Glad you got the price down. I had tried to reply the other day my my ISP was being stinky. I picked up my PJ 882HH new for 1850, so the 1400 for a used non HH seemed high, but it looks like you got a good deal.

Andre Cormier
08-31-2011, 7:19 AM
Glen, that is a great price for the HH! Shopping around the cheapest I saw those were 2600$ or 2200$ for the 3ph. The non HH = 2000$.