PDA

View Full Version : Windows Extended Desktop (two monitors)

Mark Bolton
08-26-2011, 5:09 PM
Wondering if any of the computer savvy could shed some light. I run two monitors in my office at the shop as a shared desktop I guess you its called. Its setup where it behaves like one massive screen and your mouse travels across each monitor. Often times the primary monitor is my laptop and the second is a 23"LCD. I am wondering if there is any way to have the start menu bar appear on the #2 monitor as well? Without making it the primary monitor? I guess I have figured that you couldnt "extend" it onto monitor 2 as all you would have is the systray and any programs that spread over there but wondering if there is a way to duplicate it on monitor 2?

Thanks,
Mark

Matt Meiser
08-26-2011, 5:14 PM
It appears to me that you can either duplicate your desktop, meaning you see the same thing on both, or extend it, and if you extend it the task bar can only be on one edge of one monitor. To move it, make sure it isn't locked, then click in an empty area and drag it where you want it. Luckily its smart enough to know when you've got the 2nd monitor attached, so if you use the external as your main display on your desk, it always appears there when connected, otherwise it shows on the built-in monitor.

Mark Bolton
08-26-2011, 5:58 PM
OOOO, why are these things always so simple!!!! Thanks Matt, you just did what I have been trying to do for ages virtually 5 minutes after I asked.

Thanks so much.... Life just got a lot easier. Excellent.

Mark

Dan Hintz
08-27-2011, 4:12 PM
And in case you didn't know, you can also drag the bar to the side or top of your screen.