PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing something wrong resulting in router bit damage?

Keith Avery
08-26-2011, 4:55 PM
I am putting up OSB on the walls of my shop-to-be. I bought a frued 1/4" spiral flute router bit to do the cutout work in the osb. The osb is 23/32" and I am using a Bosch trim router(which gets too hot to use without gloves). The bit broke after doing about 8 linear feet of cutting, the broken piece is stuck in my collet. I am hoping I can get it out. Am I expecting too much of this bit? Maybe I didn't seat the bit deep enough? Should I give this up and go to a jig saw? Is there a better way to do this? I have a ton of cutout work and need a good method.

Thomas Hotchkin
08-26-2011, 5:16 PM
Keith
1/4" bit cutting almost 3/4" deep in a trim router is a big cut for that setup. If you are cutting openings for rough framed window and door openings, I would suggest a larger router 11 to 12 amps with a 1/2" shank flush trim bit. When I build my home in 1992, it work great on 1/2" cdx plywood cutting over 40 openings with the same bit. Tom

pat warner
08-26-2011, 5:56 PM
A complete self-destruct for the router and cutter. Surprised it lasted 8'.

Glen Butler
08-26-2011, 9:03 PM
Use at least a 2 1/4 HP preferably 3+HP router and use a 1/2" bit if possible or at least try to find a high quality bit with a 1/2" collet. I can't guarantee it will work, but I use to trim my 3/4" OSB subflooring to the rim joist using a 3 1/2 HP router and 1/2 flush trim bit. It would last for hundreds of feet, but OSB is murder on router bits.

phil harold
08-26-2011, 9:52 PM
, OSB is murder on router bits.

I have to agree on that, tried it on one house and went back to my old methods

saws all, skillsaw, even a chainsaw works faster than a router bit maybe not as smooth but then again it is OSB, not cherry plywood

Charles Lent
08-27-2011, 8:48 AM
As others have said, this is NOT a job for a trim router. I prefer my Sawzall for this job.

To get the broken bit out you should be able to completely remove the collet and then push the shank of the router bit out of it using a punch, small screwdriver, etc. It should come out easily this way.

Charley

Thomas love
08-27-2011, 1:38 PM
jigsaw and a drill

Jerrimy Snook
08-27-2011, 1:48 PM
Sounds like you need a new multi-tool. Fein, Bosch, even a Harbor Freight. I used my $29 HF multi-tool for osb. It was easy to use, worked great for outlet boxes, and was just as noisy as the router was.

glenn bradley
08-27-2011, 2:53 PM
+1 on Jigsaw (one that is smooth powerful and controllable, not a jumping-jack) and drill. Bosch (and I'm sure others) have bits that will cut that stuff like butter.

Jerome Stanek
08-27-2011, 4:00 PM
how big are the opens that you are cutting. If they are windows and doors then I use a chain saw lot faster and less bouncing around.

Larry Edgerton
08-27-2011, 5:18 PM
I cut all of the window openings in the houses that I build with a router. I use a 3 1/4hp Porter Cable and a 1/2" bearing bit with a 1/2" shank. It cuts it well and fast, but that is about the limit that I would subject that router to, and it is not a laminate trimmer.

You need a skilsaw and a cut guide. If you don't know how to make a cut guide someone here will explain, I have to go to dinner......

Larry