PDA

View Full Version : Cherry on Cast Iron

John Keeton
08-26-2011, 3:26 PM
Well, not really cast iron, but I did get your attention!! The pedestal and finial are actually holly that has been sealed with Krylon acrylic matte, buffed with steel wool, and spray painted satin black. Then it was spray again with acrylic matte to mimic the look of cast iron. It is difficult to photograph the glossy finish on the cherry form and pick up the detail on the matte black, but the beaded form is duplicated in both the pedestal and finial, complete with the little "steps". This one is 4" x 10" tall. The form was finished with BLO, shellac, and WOP. The walls are pretty thin - less than 1/8", and the bead is hollowed, as well.

While I really like the cast iron look (even Ms. Keeton commented on how much it looked like cast iron!), I am still undecided on how much I like the design for this one. Again, just working with what comes to mind, so some will work, some not so much.

Feel free to comment!

Andrew Kertesz
08-26-2011, 3:31 PM
Awesome looking piece!! You never cease to amaze...

Marty Eargle
08-26-2011, 3:34 PM
Simple and unique at the same time!

It really reminds me of the fixtures they have at the entrance to my neighborhood...so I think the cast iron effect is a big "Mission Accomplished". I like the form of the vessel but I feel like a more spherical form would do better in this piece. Personally, that vessel just looks a little too utilitarian. But I will say that the overall finish is perfectly done. Thanks for sharing!

Roger Chandler
08-26-2011, 3:49 PM
John,

Technically, this piece is outstanding! I really like the replication of the form in both the pedestal and finial.........quite an accomplishment! The cast iron look does come through, although I am sure it would be more vivid in person. Super finish on the form itself as well.

I like the form..........a bit different........reminds me at least of a lidded bowl/box on a pedestal. The pedestal and finial both are proportional...........you do have an artists eye in that you seem to intuitively know how proportions fit together to achieve balance and symmetry. If any improvement could be made...........I suspect it would be that the pedestal could be about 1.5 + inches shorter, and that in my opinion would make it perfect.

Man, you are on a roll! Very nice stuff from you today!

Jim Burr
08-26-2011, 3:51 PM
I think it's cool! The shape isn't common and the base and finial are classic Keeton. Finish is as always nothing but perfect...or as close as we can get!! Nice job of following your gut or heart...whichever speaks the loudest!

David DeCristoforo
08-26-2011, 4:02 PM
This is very nice. I think that (IMMHO) this is one of those situations in which a somewhat lower level of gloss on the body would have been more appropriate. I don't think this is your "best form yet" but it's different enough to be interesting.

Wally Dickerman
08-26-2011, 5:48 PM
As usual, you've created another wonderful piece John. IMO the balance would be better if the finial was just little taller.

You say that the bead is hollowed...are you saying that the bead on the finial is hollow? How and why?

Bob Bergstrom
08-26-2011, 5:56 PM
She's a beauty John. The color in the cherry is gorgeous. Great finish and "WOW" a hollow bead to boot. You are something else. Thanks for the look and I always learn something from you posts.

Tim Thiebaut
08-26-2011, 6:08 PM
Another winner here John, you are on a roll.

John Keeton
08-26-2011, 8:28 PM
Thanks for all the looks and comments!

David, I did give some consideration to a lower gloss. As I have commented, I use satin WOP and get the gloss from buffing it "green." I dry assembled this before buffing, but just felt it needed contrast in finish and color. However, I do admit it looked fine with a satin sheen.

Wally, my reference to the bead being hollowed was to the one on the cherry form. I followed the exterior contour with the inside hollowing.

charlie knighton
08-26-2011, 9:06 PM
very nice, i see you are still exploring forms, look forward to your next one

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2011, 9:48 PM
Another beauty and a interesting piece John. Color and finish are great as usual.

Harry Robinette
08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
John
As always very fine and beautiful work,Even if you don't care for it I like it allot. Very nice work.

Baxter Smith
08-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Very pretty John. I have looked at this a couple of times and after looking first at the cherry form each time, I find my eye drawn downward to the duplicate form in the pedestal. Don't know if that is a plus or a minus. Just different. Neat turning!

Curt Fuller
08-26-2011, 11:08 PM
I have to admit that I'm not crazy about the form on this one. But I really like the idea of the flat "cast iron" contrast with the gloss body.

Kathy Marshall
08-27-2011, 3:59 AM
I like it John! I think the contrast gives it some interest and of course the finish is excellent.