PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl and Turquoise HF...

Wally Dickerman
08-26-2011, 2:38 PM
What do you use to fill voids in burls? Here in Arizona where turquoise comes from, that's what I often use.

This piece was turned in 2005 and is in a collection. It's about 7 inches dia. x 8 inches tall.

Tim Rinehart
08-26-2011, 3:00 PM
Wally...I don't care how old that piece is...it's a beauty. I really like the shape which appears to have perfect lift, and the narrowness of the inclusion allowed a nice but not overpowering use of the turqoise. I don't know rules for what materials work best, but I've had some experimental pieces that used malachite and others with lapis, and I'm not sure they work equally well on all woods. I do know this piece looks great, and I do like the beaded rim.

Dale Miner
08-26-2011, 3:24 PM
Hi Wally,

Nice turning with a good piece of timber. What to use? It seems it would depend on the wood and grain pattern and the size/shape of the void. I've used coffee grounds and epoxy on walnut before so that the filled void would not be a focal point. Usually, I just leave the void open.

I like the rim of your vessel, and have used something similar on a few pieces.

Later,

Dale M

John Keeton
08-26-2011, 3:28 PM
Wally, I love seeing your work! You have done such a variety of things over the decades, and done all of them well. This is no exception. Great form, and the burl and turquoise do excellent together. Perhaps in KY, we should use coal!!!:D

Wally Dickerman
08-26-2011, 3:49 PM
Wally, I love seeing your work! You have done such a variety of things over the decades, and done all of them well. This is no exception. Great form, and the burl and turquoise do excellent together. Perhaps in KY, we should use coal!!!:D
Thanks John....Hey, maybe coal dust would work. Hmm, what else is Ky famous for? The Derby... How about dried horse turds?:)

Jim Burr
08-26-2011, 3:52 PM
I love the combination Wally!! Very well done!!!

charlie knighton
08-26-2011, 5:52 PM
very nice, Wally, like the form, thanks for sharing

that was a large burl, way to keep it togehter

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2011, 9:55 PM
Beautiful Wally. Really nice form and the combination.

Baxter Smith
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Great form with a nice combination of colors Wally. Thanks for posting!