PDA

View Full Version : Silver Color Fill

Jared Greenberg
08-26-2011, 1:02 PM
Searched through threads on this topic but didn't really find an answer.

The silver color fill I am using constantly "comes out" when ever I go to wipe it off. I have tried blow drying it, letting it sit over night; pretty much anything.

Some of the other colors I use are "firmer" and don't pull out, if that makes any sense.

Is there a silver out there that is thicker in consistency?

Right now I'm using some acrylic paint sold through Michael's.

Is it possible to make up my own colors by mixing?

Larry Bratton
08-26-2011, 1:20 PM
Have you tried RubnBuff? RnB comes in silver. Also some members use guilder's paste. Don't know if it comes in silver or not. (Edit: Yes it does)

John Noell
08-26-2011, 4:18 PM
What are you filling and how deeply?

Jared Greenberg
08-26-2011, 5:59 PM
Baseball bats, not overly deep, but it is deep enough. I'm running about about 32% speed 100% power.

I stopped in at our local Michael's (Canada) and they didn't carry it. I bought some other paint that seemed to be thicker and will give it a test run. It was $5 so not a huge investment. I asked about guilder paste there and she looked at me funny.

Any Canadian sources for run n buff.

George M. Perzel
08-26-2011, 6:08 PM
HiJared;
Try Guilders wax-comes in a lot of colors and metals.
George
Laserarts

Jared Greenberg
08-26-2011, 6:56 PM
Any suppliers for either of these....google isn't helping much.

Tony Lenkic
08-26-2011, 7:10 PM
Jared check with Canadian Engravers Supply out of Calgary. They have paints for engraving fills and I think they stock rub-n-buff as well.

Jared Greenberg
08-26-2011, 7:58 PM
I was going to call this afternoon but ran out of time before they closed. I went to their site, but didn't see that they sold it. That's where we bought the laser from and get some supplies already.

George M. Perzel
08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Try
http://gilderspaste.com/

Tim Bateson
08-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Just finished 3 dozen of these for a signing today, he plays for the Cincinnati Reds. The picture looks white, but is actually silver. I use blue painters tape, laser through it, mask the rest of the bat and spray paint. Peal the tape in 30minutes & wait 5-6 hours & peal the tape from within the letters.

Martin Boekers
08-27-2011, 5:21 PM
Albeit a bit expensive, LaserBits has a nice selection called Pro Fills.
I have a set, but use gold the most. It is consistant and haven't had
any issues with it.

I would like to see a gold that comes close to matching brass plates
or dye sub gold.

The gold is nice and shiney, but clashes when I have a plate and a fill.

Tony Lenkic
08-27-2011, 6:14 PM
Jared, Cesco sells Universal laser not Epilog you have listed in your signature.
Are you sure it was not Engravers Express where you got yours?

Jared Greenberg
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes, EE is where I bought mine.

Jared Greenberg
08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Just finished 3 dozen of these for a signing today, he plays for the Cincinnati Reds. The picture looks white, but is actually silver. I use blue painters tape, laser through it, mask the rest of the bat and spray paint. Peal the tape in 30minutes & wait 5-6 hours & peal the tape from within the letters.

Masking etc is fine for a run of 36, but when you do 6000-8000 a year, something simple and quick is the only way to go. And waiting 5-6 hours would just back up everything in the production.

Martin Boekers
08-29-2011, 1:15 PM
Masking etc is fine for a run of 36, but when you do 6000-8000 a year, something simple and quick is the only way to go. And waiting 5-6 hours would just back up everything in the production.

Not know what you are doing is this something that may be best heat stamped?

Mike Mackenzie
08-29-2011, 1:28 PM
Jared,

When we set-up the systems for Rawlings at most of the major league ball parks to engrave the bats we would use turtle wax to coat the bat at the engraving area and then laser, then wipe in the paint fill. I can not give you any details on the paint they used because they kept it secret. It was just in a Tupperware bowl and they took a rag and wiped in into the engraving let it dry for about 20 minutes and then wiped it off. They would do about 100 bats during a normal nine inning game and they had three different colors that they used gold, silver, and black. I believe that the paint was a water based paint that dried fast but when I asked what it was they would not tell me.
the turtle wax helps with keeping the paint off of the UN engraved areas and cleans off very easily.

Wish I could get you more info on the paint but I know it can't be anything special.

Jared Greenberg
08-29-2011, 1:34 PM
No as we put players/team names/signatures on each bat individually. We would also change model numbers etc. So we are constantly changing what we're engraving.

Jared Greenberg
08-29-2011, 1:38 PM
Jared,

When we set-up the systems for Rawlings at most of the major league ball parks to engrave the bats we would use turtle wax to coat the bat at the engraving area and then laser, then wipe in the paint fill. I can not give you any details on the paint they used because they kept it secret. It was just in a Tupperware bowl and they took a rag and wiped in into the engraving let it dry for about 20 minutes and then wiped it off. They would do about 100 bats during a normal nine inning game and they had three different colors that they used gold, silver, and black. I believe that the paint was a water based paint that dried fast but when I asked what it was they would not tell me.
the turtle wax helps with keeping the paint off of the UN engraved areas and cleans off very easily.

Wish I could get you more info on the paint but I know it can't be anything special.

I'll go pick up some turtle wax. How did you apply it? With a rag or just a finger?

What did you do on the bats that were unfinished (or just plain wood)?

20 minutes is even too long. Witht the white paint we use, its apply, wait about a minute (doing a few others while waiting) then wipe off, but them in a bag then box them up.

Mike Mackenzie
08-29-2011, 1:49 PM
They used there bats that were all finished already. I do not think that the 20 minutes was necessary however anyone who ordered the bat could not pick it up until the ninth inning so the timing may have been different. I recall it was pretty quick they would run three at a time and fill them then run three more and fill them then they would clean them and box them. We just used the pad applicator that came in the turtle wax can. It was the paste wax not the spray type.

Tim Bateson
08-29-2011, 6:45 PM

I'm all for finding faster/more efficient ways of earning a buck. I'll try any method that reaches that goal as long is it doesn't reduce quality.