PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer over bare wood?

Eric Gourieux
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
206062This is curly hard maple, although the curl doesn't show up very well in this pic. I usually apply Antique Oil Finish before applying lacquer, but I was considering applying lacquer to the bare wood. Should I apply a sanding sealer first? Any other suggestions? Measurements are 12" x 4.5" at the shoulder.

Bill Wyko
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Shellac sealer is a good way to get some pop and you'll use much less lacquer to get a shiny finish. You can get Shellac in various color tones too. There's also something very satisfying about making it yourself. Good luck and BTW, very nice vessel.

Steve Vaughan
08-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Yup, what Bill said. I like Watco Natural on something like that, then lacquer over that. The lacquer would work, just be aware of a couple of things - It's gonna keep the wood pretty light, which ain't a bad thing if that's what you're wanting. And, as Bill suggests, the first couple or three coats of lacquer are gonna act as a sanding sealer, then you'll be able to apply the finish coat(s) of lacquer. Looks very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2011, 10:46 PM
When I use lacquer I put on a couple of coats of shellac before parting it off the lathe. I use the extra blonde shellac flakes and mix my own 1 1/2 to 2 lb cut. When I am ready for lacquer it will take maybe 5 to 7 light coats rather than 9 to 12 light coats to get the same finish surface.

phil harold
08-26-2011, 1:31 AM
I would sand to at least 400 grit
then use a yellow dye
let dry, sand 220 then 400
use a high gloss oil finish
this will increase the chatoyant effect, thus making it 'pop'
at his point you can high gloss lacquer or contiue with oil finish, some people put a vinyl sealer between the oil and lacquer, but I dont
then buff to desired sheen

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-26-2011, 7:14 AM
Eric,
Whichever method you choose, take some scrap wood and sand it exactly the same as the vase and test. Stains can blotch on maple and oils can darken it. Lacquer alone will not guarantee not changing the color unless you use an acrylic water clear. Only testing will show you exactly what a finish will do.
faust