PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Purple Heart

Mike Holbrook
08-25-2011, 4:15 PM
I am making hand planes from Purple Heart. Does anyone have experience putting a finish on it? I am wondering what might look good and provide good service?

David Weaver
08-25-2011, 4:29 PM
I had a PH plane. Actually two, i don't have them any longer. It's just my opinion, but I would do a very good job of putting a smooth sanded finish on them and give them a healthy dose of oil and then the wax of your choice. If you use a petrol wax, you can use BLO as the oil. If you want to use oil only and no wax, I would avoid BLO because it will grow mold or something nasty on it (not sure what was on my oiled only planes, but they grew a glaze of stuff on them before I realize that good old toxic briwax would keep it from growing).

So, yeah, good finish surface and oil and wax - it'll always be pleasing to your hands.

Plane looks good so far, btw - saw the other thread. That PH is a bear to work with a rasp! The end grain on it is TOUGH and splintery.

Mike Holbrook
08-25-2011, 5:01 PM
Thanks for the advise David. I think I have been lucky as I have not had too much trouble with the PH so far, other than it being almost like rock. I know what you mean about the splintering though. The splinters I have had were sort of atypical compared to the other woods I have worked. The "splinters" seem to break off in small chunks instead of long thin slivers. The corners seem especially prone to this form of splintering. A simple Veritas scraper card seems to work well on it for some reason. I am a little worried about the mouth, the thin area where the blade protrudes may be a challenge.

Fortunately Highland Woodworking started carrying Japanese plane floats recently and at very reasonable prices. I am hoping I can ease the blade bed into shape without damaging that delicate area.

Brian Kent
08-25-2011, 6:27 PM
One of the best parts about purple heart is that when the splinters break off under your skin, they actively help you find them in a day or so. They attract all kind of bodily fluids, swell up, and resist needles and tweezers. I finally chew them out like a hound dog getting rid of a tick and the scab goes away in a few weeks.

Oh, and I just use the Bealls Buffing system. Does beautifully. I haven't learned. I still use that beautiful stuff.

Mike Holbrook
08-26-2011, 1:05 AM
I'm not sure how I will isolate one puffy spot among all the others, hmm might be the one without tooth marks. Then the dogs nock me down enough so there are plenty of splinters and bruises too...The bees are especially good at puffy spots.

Bealls Buffing system, will look that one up, thanks Brian.