PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch blade on a 10 inch saw

john davey
08-25-2011, 1:49 PM
Well this may be a stupid question but are there any safety concerns with an 8 inch blade mounted on a 10 inch saw. Actually I don't think there are any stupid safety questions :). I understand the limits of the cut depth and am just using 4/4 stock at the moment. I will be purchasing a new blade but am saving for a WWII 40 tooth combo. I currently have a nice Freud 8 inch combo blade from my old saw and would like to use it until I get the WWII unless it is not advisable. Thanks, John

Dell Littlefield
08-25-2011, 2:06 PM
I have an 8 inch blade that I use in my Craftsman contractors saw. It is my go to blade where thin kerf ripping is desired. I have ripped hundreds of feet with it. My only safety concern is that I don't have a splitter for it. So far, (knock wood), that hasn't been a problem for me.

johnny means
08-25-2011, 2:34 PM
The only real concern is blade speed. An 8" blade is going to have roughly 2/3 the tooth speed of a 10" blade. Slower cutting speeds do increase the likelihood of kickback. Though i think in practice the increased risk would be negligible.

Bruce Page
08-25-2011, 4:02 PM
Other than the lost depth of cut it will work just fine. I have an 8" blade that I use for cutting the slot into new ZCI inserts.

Tom Willoughby
08-25-2011, 4:20 PM
A dado stack is typically 8" so I would think that it would work fine on the saw noting the safety concerns about the lack of a riving knife and slower tooth cutting speed.

Rod Sheridan
08-25-2011, 5:30 PM
I do something similar, I run 10" blades on a 12" saw...........Regards, Rod.

Jerome Hanby
08-26-2011, 8:46 AM
A dado stack is typically 8" so I would think that it would work fine on the saw noting the safety concerns about the lack of a riving knife and slower tooth cutting speed.

I think some of the "premium" dado stacks are 8". Many of the others are are 6"...

Howard Acheson
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
You can used any 10" or lesser diameter blade on your saw subject only to depth of cut limitations.

Terry Beadle
08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
plus on on probably no problem.

Just be sure to use plenty of anti kick back devices on the stock, irregardless of the blade. They will save a finger and possibly your face.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Mike Wilkins
08-26-2011, 2:05 PM
Should not be a problem. My main tablesaw is a slider that can use either 10 or 12 inch blades. I have a Craftsman cast iron bench-top style that is a 10 inch model, but I use 7 1/4" blades due to the lack of power and these type blades are cheap and thin kerf.

Anthony Whitesell
08-26-2011, 3:36 PM

Ditto. The dado blades aren't full diameter. I use 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/4, and 8 1/2 blades on my 9" tablesaw (mostly because I'm too cheap to spend $100 on a 9" blade).