PDA

View Full Version : A leetle bitty plate.

Betty Fox
08-25-2011, 1:24 PM

Here's a plate I just got done turning out of maple. It measures 6 1/2 inches. I don't have a use for it except for the experience of turning a plate. It was fun except I can never get the finish to come out like I want. I used Salad Bowl Finish and it looked streaky.

Allan Ferguson
08-25-2011, 1:51 PM
Glad you had fun. That type of finish will show every sanding mark and defect. Put it on quickly and try not to go back to touch up until dry. Nice plate.

Steve Vaughan
08-25-2011, 2:09 PM
Looks like you did a great job learning! Nice looking. I've never used that finish, but maybe it can be buffed out now that it's good a dry? Maybe re-sand with some 600 and buff with #0000 steel wool?

John Keeton
08-25-2011, 2:52 PM
Nice leetle plate, Betty! Not sure what grit you sanded to, but what about wet sanding with the bowl finish to a finer grit. Maybe drop back to 320 to start, and go thru 400 and 600 wet sanding by hand. Shouldn't take but a few minutes and I bet it removes the sanding pattern.

Betty Fox
08-25-2011, 3:44 PM
Thanks for the advice all. I have sanded down to steel wool as that is what is recommended on the finish can. I'll keep plugging away at it. The next plate is already on the lathe ready to turn.
Betty

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-25-2011, 4:50 PM
Cute little plate Betty. Others may disagree but my experience with "Salad Bowl" finish is that it is just that. It is a food safe finish made for salad bowls. It had a large degree of moisture protection and is food safe and renewable, but it is not a fine finish. I think that may be asking too much of it. I used it on a batch of cutting boards once and experienced the same results you did. However, I wasn't looking for any more. It has held up well for the purpose I needed.
Right now I am using a food safe, environmentally friendly linseed oil based finish from a company called Levos. It is very easy to use and contains all natural products that are derivatives of linseed oil. It hardens nicely and requires no sanding between coats. It is a bot expensive and difficult to obtain but worth the wait and the money.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2011, 8:36 PM
That is a purdy little plate.

Josh Bowman
08-26-2011, 7:03 AM
Betty,
Great job, I like the wood and shape. I know exactly what you can do with it. Turn a bowl to set on it. Keep having fun. Several here use Vinceswoodnwonders for sanding stuff. Vince will get you on the right smooth road fast. I'd give him a call. I buff my stuff with the Beall system and really like the finish is consistent and silky smooth.

Michelle Rich
08-26-2011, 7:43 AM
Most important, is that you had fun. Good plate

Keith E Byrd
08-26-2011, 9:15 AM
Nice job on the plate!

Steve Schlumpf
08-26-2011, 9:51 AM
Nice work on the plate Betty! Interesting maple - I'm seeing specs of red through it!

Betty Fox
08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes the red was, unfortunately, on the back. Would have been nice to have that on the front. Maybe next time.

Chris Burgess
08-26-2011, 1:56 PM
Great looking plate. I can see an over sized cupcake sitting on that in front of a kid on their birthday. Looks great.

Baxter Smith
08-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Nice work Betty. Glad you had fun with it!