PDA

View Full Version : Bench Rehab Project PIC

Mark Stutz
02-21-2005, 11:21 PM
This is the result of several weekends of work. I'm still amazed at how some of you can turn out such great looking projects in such a short time. I can't take full credit for the idea, as I'm pretty sure someone (or two or three) has posted similar projects in the past. You know who you are so chime in! I was too lazy to search the archives. :o :D

Many of us started with a generic "Big Box" bolt together bench made of hardwood. If anyone knows what kind of wood these are I'd like to know. Worked well for a beginner. I even chiseled out some mortices on mine! Eventually it got relegated to being just another flat surface in the shop.

I decided I needed more storage space and set out to build a base cabinet. Took it all apart. I filled in the tool well with pieces from the stretchers, and plugged the dog holes with walnut plugs, since this will never be a "bench" again. This will serve as a dedicated sharpening, grinding and buffing station.

The carcase is 3/4 birch ply. Carcase and face frame are assembled with pocket screws. Face frame and drawer faces are sycamore--1.50/bf. I always try to do something new and/or challenge myself with every project, especially shop projects. It doesn't show in the PIC but the back and sides are milk paint. Had never used that before. The challenge was turning the knobs. :eek: Had never done that before either. Special thanks to Steve Inniss and Jim Becker for answereing my questions in the turner's forum and getting me started. Steve, I had to do a much simpler profile, or I would still be trying to get two to match! :eek: :) As it is, I have several nice "one of a kind" walnut knobs for future projects. :D

Thanks for looking. Mark

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Very nice work. Your excellent craftmanship is showing! Great job!

Jim Dunn
02-22-2005, 7:27 AM
Mark your bench is great. But if that is the evidence of the quality of your work then "you ain't comming to my house";) You'd make me look bad in front of my wood.
Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
02-22-2005, 8:39 AM
Great work on the bench! It looks wonderful. Do you have any pics of the top? I'd bet it looks great with the walnut plugs.

Terry Hatfield
02-22-2005, 8:43 AM
Mark,

Fantastic work!!!!!!! The bench looks great!! You should be very proud. I'm sure it will serve you well for many years to come.

Terrry

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 9:11 AM
That looks wonderful, Mark! Nice job. It will remain a great work surface in your shop...good example of "recycling" and improvement, too. I guess I need to get moving with the cabinet I want/plan for under my own bench!! All these new hand tools need a safe place to live.. ;)

Mark Stutz
02-22-2005, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, the drawers are almost full already! :eek:

Jeff,
I thought about that after I posted. Here is a shot of the top, along with the side view, and a closw-up of one of the knobs.

Mark

Dennis McDonaugh
02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Great Bench Mark, how long until your wife makes you get it out of your living room? :D

Bruce Page
02-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Great craftsmanship Mark! The face frame and drawers & knobs look beautiful. That’s going to be one heck of a sharpening station! 1.50/bf for sycamore? In NM that’s about the going rate for a 2X4. :(