PDA

View Full Version : 12 step program for woodturners

Chris Colman
08-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I found it!

I knew there was a 12-step program for the turning vortex. Here it is, courtesy of the Kansas city woodturners club www.kcwoodturners.org (http://www.kcwoodturners.org)

TWELVE STEPS FOR WOODTURNERS
Step 1 - We admit we are powerless over our need for tools. Our lives are incorrigible.
Step 2 - We realize that the probability of sanity is rather remote. There is no point in fighting our
affliction so we give in.
Step 3 - We simply make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the creative process, as we
grow to understand that process, wherever that may lead us.
Step 4 - We have made a searching and fearless inventory of our shop and especially of all our
tools.
Step 5 - We admit to ourselves and everyone we know, the exact nature of our skills, techniques,
and our degree of involvement with our affliction.
Step 6 - We are entirely ready to have all our defects and shortcomings removed so that we can turn
wonderful pieces on our lathes.
Step 7 - We humbly ask our friends and neighbors to give us all their cut down trees, especially
those of hard wood, so that we may have much to turn with.
Step 8 - We have made a list of all the people to whom we want to give gifts of our turnings and es-
pecially all the possible people who may be willing to purchase what we make. We apolo-
gize to all of those we may have hurt because of our affliction: especially to our spouses
and children who may have gone without food, clothing, and attention because of our need
for more tools, wood, DVD's, periodicals, time with our group, classes, and our relationship
with our lathe.
Step 9 - We will directly talk to anyone we meet about our affliction whenever possible. We try to
limit our conversations to those people we believe have the ability to support this behavior
as we consciously wish to harm no one.
Step 10 - We will continue to make our inventories so that we are prepared to purchase whatever we
need, or may possibly need at some point in the near or distant future, so that we are al
ways prepared to buy, buy, buy so we can turn, turn, turn.
Step 11 - We allow ourselves to be directed to those in the know for additional information and tech-
niques to perfect our practice.
Step 12 - We realize that there is no rational reason for our behavior, that ours is a gift and we need
to keep on giving. We feel obligated to spread the word to the four corners of the
earth, or the next person we meet, which ever is closer.

Harvey M. Taylor
08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
12 steps== you folks have been looking in my shop window, havent you? Max

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Can I get a big "Amen" for Brother Chris and his sermon?

Kyle Iwamoto
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
AMEN

Sigh. Now I know there is no hope.

Rick Markham
08-25-2011, 1:08 PM
I think number 1 needs to be ammended to:

1. We realized we are powerless over turning, and our wives have become unmanageable.

I'm off to the dog house now! :)

Jim Underwood
08-25-2011, 1:33 PM
Why! I'm shocked, I tell you, to think that you all think of this profession as an lowly addiction! I prefer to think of it as a noble duty that must be completed no matter the cost!

I think this appropriate here:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these turners from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Rick Markham
08-25-2011, 4:25 PM
I wouldn't call it an addiction... it's really more of a compulsion for me... I HAVE to do it!

I also believe it is a very noble profession Jim, I think the folks here prove that! Turners are all wonderful people.
Turning is a creative outlet, as well as therapy, and a part of my recovery ;)

Chris Barnett
08-25-2011, 11:38 PM
I would offer a case, shucks two, maybe three, of the finest lager or a fifth of Scotland's oldest....well, let's say old...within reason...cause I know about Scotland's best :D, to teach me really how to turn a bowl. The vortex has me at the event horizon....DW is a widow, daughters have moved out-of-state and once close friends just shake their heads and turn away...and my dog died of boredom. I now know the power but just how deep is this vortex?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Simply put..........there isn't a bottom.....

Rick Markham
08-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Simply put..........there isn't a bottom.....

That's why I LOVE it so much!!!!!!!!!

Michelle Rich
08-26-2011, 7:48 AM
:-d :-) :-0