PDA

View Full Version : Is this part of a tree good for turning?

Bill Wiggins
08-24-2011, 8:43 PM
I don't have a picture, but I'm wondering if there is a name for the following portion of a tree. It's the part where a limb once connected to the trunk, but the limb has long since died and rotted. What's left is a hollowed out section. Is this good for turning a bowl or hollow form?

Marty Eargle
08-24-2011, 8:47 PM
I have turned the section of wood you're talking about except there was no void in the chunk I turned, more of a scared over area. It turned just fine.

I say that as long as its structurally sound and seems safe to turn, give it a go. Will probably have some interesting grain and possible spalt.

David E Keller
08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Hard to say definitively without seeing the piece, but the 'hollowed out' part makes me a bit worried.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2011, 6:37 AM
Sure, if the remaining wood is sound... make the hollowed portion part of the item, like a natural edge, inclusion, etc. Artistic pieces can be grande...

Bob Hamilton
08-25-2011, 7:46 AM
I actually have a chunk like that in the shop right now. I really couldn't see any way to make a vessel from it since the void was so extensive but the grain in the solid areas is spectacular. I turned a small end grain box from a chunk of it and it really turned out well.

Take care
Bob

Bill Wiggins
08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I was able to cut up the logs today to make some blanks. The tree was cut down about two weeks ago. I'm thinking that for the two pieces on the left, I'll cut them in half - right down the middle of the void, since they are rotted through. But the one on the right does not have as much rot.

Any ideas on what I can make with these? Shallow bowls or plates? I'm not sure there's enough material to make a tenon or to drive screws into it.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2011, 1:01 PM
That middle one... if the thin material around the knot is still solid, I might take a thin slice off of the very top to make a flat bottom, then chop the log about 1/3rd of the way down, make a reverse natural edge bowl.

Chris Barnett
08-25-2011, 11:49 PM
If not good for turning, nail/screw a hardwood board piece to the end(s) that have a hole, or better yet a few sections of solid trunk without the hold, drill a hole in the side, attach to suitable tree or other support, and wait for your feathered friends to enjoy. Larger pieces can serve as nests for wood ducks, woodies and some of the larger varities depending on your location. Check web for hole sizes vs. species, and placement in your habitat of humanity.