PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly - Muncy Plant

John Harris
02-21-2005, 10:28 PM
In another thread there was a few guys that talked about going to the Grizzly facility in Muncy. I have not made the 2 1/2 hour trip yet but I am heading towards the ultimate bandsaw G0555 or the 17" 0513.

I am waiting for their tent sale on June 18th. Supposedly, they have great scratch and dents, sales, and leftovers. Has anyone gone to this? They do it twice a year.

Also, any input on my bandsaw choice would be helpful. I thought I was going to get the 17" 0513, but then at the Virginia Wood Worker's show several of the blade manufacturer's said to save the money, get the 14" 0555 w/ a riser and a really good blade. I'm not sure how much resawing will take place, but it is definitely in the future (logs from our woods).

Sorry for two thoughts in the same thread. Have at it!

Thanks!

Jon Farley
02-21-2005, 10:45 PM
John: I just got done writing a longer reply, but hit the wrong button and lost it. In short here's what I said: The "scratch and dent" sales are way overrated. There is loads of stuff for sale, but a more accurate description of it would be something like "partially destroyed" or "missing major components." Having said that, I am a big fan of Grizzly equipment and I love the Muncy showroom. So, my advice is go to the sale just out of curiosity, don't expect too much, and if you really want something, you're probably better off just getting it new.

Jon

Bill Arnold
02-22-2005, 6:39 AM
The G0513 is a great price/value purchase. I've had one for several months and really like it.

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 7:33 AM
John, if yopu did not already see the results, you might be interested in a couple of polls that I ran last month about the bandsaw brand and bandsaw size owned by SMCers.

Brand:

Grizzly __________62
Delta ___________49
Jet _____________49
Mini-Max ________33
Laguna __________15
Craftsman _______13
Agazzani _________8
Rigid _____________6
Powermatic _______5
Grob _____________3
ACM _____________2
Bridgewood _______2
Rikon ____________2
Walker-Turner _____2
General ___________1
Inca ______________1
Parks _____________1
Ryobi _____________1

Size:

Floor (14" or 15")____________96
Floor (16")__________________35
Floor (17" to 19")_____________30
Floor (20")__________________15
Floor (less than 14")__________10
Floor (more than 20")__________8
Benchtop (10" or less)_________5
Benchtop (more than 10")______2

Dave Brandt
02-22-2005, 8:42 AM
Don't count on the 14" with riser for doing much resawing. It bogs down pretty easily, so go with something bigger. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of Grizzly gear, including the 14" w/ riser, but when I move I'm gonna get something bigger and more powerful.

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 9:07 AM
I'm sure going to the tent sale will be fun, but unless you're willing to get there in the wee-hours (pre-oh-dark-thirty), you'll be way back in the line to get in for the scratch and dent stuff when they actually open! At least this is what many folks who have attended said over the years. "Sprinting" is not optional when the gates swing... ;)

As to the bandsaw choice, you're comparing two very different animals. The G0513 is the better choice of the two in so many ways...

BTW, I see you're relatively new to the Creek...if I didn't say it before, welcome!

John Harris
02-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input. Very helpful!

Let me throw a little twist to this. If the bigger saw is the better choice for meeting the resaw end of the spectrum, then can I still run a thin blade (even an 1/8") on the 18" for fine cutting?

I also appreciate all the folks taking the time to welcome me onboard. Great community!

John

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Let me throw a little twist to this. If the bigger saw is the better choice for meeting the resaw end of the spectrum, then can I still run a thin blade (even an 1/8") on the 18" for fine cutting?
Yup, although you'll want cool blocks for a 1/8" blade...

Wes Newman
02-22-2005, 10:31 AM
John, I have the G0555 with riser and love it. I would buy it all over again if I was in the same circumstances (Budget wise). If I had the extra money, I would have bought the 17" in a heartbeat.

Bart Leetch
02-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I agree with what has been said about the bigger saw.

How ever at the time I purchased my 14" saw a G1019 with riser,they don't make this saw anymore. I couldn't afford a bigger saw. I realized a little after I purchased it that I had a 1 1/2 HP 220 volt motor setting in the shop that I could switch with the 3/4 HP factory motor. With that motor & a 1/2" Timberwolf blade I am able to cut approximately 1/8" thick slices a 12" thick with no problems at all.

If I could do it over I would purchase the bigger Band-saw at least the 17" Grizzly Band-saw.

Having said that I am very happy with the way my Band-saw turned out.

I also have an older 1950's Craftsman Band-saw with a 1/4" Timberwolf blade for fine work.

Scott Parks
02-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I vote "other big saw" just to get local service. I've narrowed down to the 17" ShopFox $899, (Identical to the Grizzly, but more features). I'm also considering the Rikon 18", but havent' had a chance to look at one yet.