PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Installed Byrd Shelix in Jet JJP-12?

Arnold E Schnitzer
08-24-2011, 1:04 PM
I'm interested in knowing how difficult the installation was, and if there was a lot of fussing to do with the set-up afterward. I'd also like to hear opinions on whether the working quality is significantly improved. These things (Byrd Shelix heads) are expensive, but cheaper than getting an upgraded machine. Any experiences out there?

Curt Harms
08-25-2011, 7:35 AM
I've wondered the same thing. Chris Nolin has a straight knife head for sale due to having purchased a JJP-12 with retrofitted Shelix head. Thread is here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171304-12-quot-straight-knife-cutterhead-for-JET-JJP-12-jointer-planer

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I am wondering too, but as I remember, older JJP-12 has different RPM and Jet did not recommend to switch the head to Byrd one.
Ed.

Kent Chasson
08-25-2011, 3:58 PM
I put one in and it was not too hard. A bit more to disassemble than a jointer but way less than a planer. Pulling and replacing the bearings is the hardest part. You need a bearing puller to get them off, some patience and some creativity to get them back on. The improvement you get is the same you would get replacing any straight knives (well worth it IMHO).

Last I looked, you need to get the head direct from Byrd. The 12" Byrds that Grizzly sells don't fit.

Now if only the tables would stay true, it would be a great machine!

Arnold E Schnitzer
08-27-2011, 8:31 AM
Where did you get the instructions for the job? If you have them filed, would you care to share? Thanks!

Kent Chasson
08-27-2011, 12:44 PM
No instructions. I just started taking things apart until I could get the cutterhead out. Then pulled the bearings. I was able to reuse the brand new bearings on my machine but there is always risk of damage in pulling them. If your machine has very may hours on it, you may want to skip pulling the old bearings and just get new ones for the new head. As I recall, they aren't that expensive.

The folks at Byrd were helpful when I originally asked them about which head to get. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some suggestions for the trickier parts.

There is probably some info in the archives here too.

Curt Harms
08-27-2011, 3:08 PM
If you decide to go ahead, you might check with Holbren. He might offer a discount to Sawmill Creek members. Not sure if he will but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-head-for-jet-jpt-310-jjp-12-12-jointer_planer.html