PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With This???

mike ash
08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Another piece of wood from the woodpile. There is a large rotten knot hole going all the way through that I'm not sure how to deal with. I like forms displaying the distressed nature of wood, but this one is pretty significant.

From this........205972 To this..........205973

Options I can see are;
1. Turn to form and leave the hole(s)
2. Turn to form and then fill (with what?)
3. Throw this back in the firewood pile.

Thanks, Mike Ash

Darren Jamieson
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I personally love all the flaws that go with a piece of wood, including knots, worm holes, inclusion and some cracks. That being said I think that chunck there has alot of really nice looking grain to me. Turn it to shape and then start filling or at that piont decide weither you like it with the open concept or central air look. In the past my favorite filler is coffee grounds but that is just personal choice. Good luck and remember if you got it from the fire pile, it didn't cost you anything.:D

Jeff Nicol
08-24-2011, 9:46 PM
Mike, All you can do is turn it down to the shape you want and see how it looks, if it looks good on its own leave the hole the way it is. If it needs a little something you can use it as a starting point for a carving or pyro design, or fill it with a piece do contrasting wood, carved or cut out to make a shape or design, or use epoxy, or casting resin etc.

You will begin to make you decision as you continue turning the piece,

Have fun,

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
08-24-2011, 9:54 PM
Option #4: Send it to Dr Keller. He will know exactly what to do with it! Although... it might not have enough holes in it for him...

Curt Fuller
08-24-2011, 9:57 PM
#1 for sure! Looks like it will be a beauty.

Jim Burr
08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Keller has enough wood already;)
I think all the ideas are good...let it rip and see where you go! And if the wood speaks to you, stop and have a beer...or stop having the one your enjoying!!

David E Keller
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Keller has enough wood already;)...

Jim's a liar! He must have gotten that notion from my wife(she's been known to deal in deception as well)!:D

I love the voids and defects, so this piece looks like it's full of potential from my perspective. I'd find a form within that chunk that you find appealing. Once you've got it hollowed, you can deal with the void as Jeff suggested. I tend to favor 'au natural', but sometimes a little CA or epoxy/coffee looks good as well.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2011, 9:37 AM
Mike - that is a fairly good size chunk of wood, so just a word or two of caution when turning this. Can't help but notice a series of cracks running the length of the blank and those, coupled with the punky area, need to be monitored while turning. The wood may hold together just fine but you just never know.

Like I said, be careful, check the blank often and I look forward to seeing what you create! Have fun!