PDA

View Full Version : 3hp Grizzly Cyclone owner's will it fit in my space?

Keith Avery
08-23-2011, 6:47 PM
I am planning to put my cyclone(eventually) in a cubby hole in my shop. It ended up a little smaller than planned after framing. The space is 48" long and 57" wide. The inlet will come in parallel to the 48" side. I was planning to mount it along the 48" wall. If the exhaust can be turn 60 or 90 degrees I think it will fit barely. If the exhaust has to come out 180 deg out from the inlet it will not. I can't tell from the literature, manual, or pictures for sure if the outlet can be turned. It does say inlet and outlet can be positioned 360 degrees, but not sure what this means. Also from the pictures it looks like wall mounting may limit options some. I called Grizzly and didn't get a clear answer. I can tell from the Oneida pictures that all of their 3 hp units would fit. I am trying to decide if I should mark the Grizzly off the list due to sizing. Height isn't an issue as I have at least 12ft. I guess I could mount it back a little further on the 57" wall if I have to and turn the inlet 90 degrees which I am sure I can do but that would make me mount cyclone against an office wall instead of an exterior wall. Any help from guys who have installed this unit would be great.

Randy Dutkiewicz
08-23-2011, 8:24 PM
Keith,

Not sure I fully understand your setup (drawings help). However, I CAN tell you that the barrel does allow you to turn it in roughly 30 degree increments. More specifically, my 2HP Grizzly (same as the 3HP minus the taller collection barrel) fits a footprint of roughly 36" long x 50" wide. To answer your question on whether or not the exhaust/filter NEEDS to be 180 degrees from the inlet...NO it doesn't. Many on here have positioned the exhaust almost right in front of the inlet. Glenn Bradley (contributor on here) and I both have the 2HP and we changed our setup from what the "norm" is and works just fine. As a matter of fact, my exhaust/filter is roughly 60 degrees from my inlet. Do a search and you'll see a bunch of pics of both Glenn's and mine. I have attached a couple of mine here though. Grizzly does do a great job in posting their overall dimensions in the online user manual regarding the overall length/width and height requirements. Hope this helps.

205935Randy

Keith Avery
08-23-2011, 9:14 PM
Randy this helps alot. I want to configure it just like yours except the wall I want to mount it on would be on the right side of your collector not the back. So if yours was mounted exactly as it is, except the wall it is attached to would be on the right, or directly opposite your filter. I can't tell if the wall mount can be 90 degrees offset from the filter.

Paul Wunder
08-23-2011, 9:15 PM
Keith,

Can't answer for the Grizzly, but the ClearVue cyclone inlet and outlet can be oriented to any position in relation to each other. You simply rotate the cyclone body during installation as needed. Very handy for tight spots. And it really SUCKS!

Randy Dutkiewicz
08-23-2011, 9:26 PM
Randy this helps alot. I want to configure it just like yours except the wall I want to mount it on would be on the right side of your collector not the back. So if yours was mounted exactly as it is, except the wall it is attached to would be on the right, or directly opposite your filter. I can't tell if the wall mount can be 90 degrees offset from the filter.

Keith,

You only have two options in where your wall mount BOLTS can go. If looking at mine, they are located either on the back side (as mine is mounted to the wall behind the collector) or the mounts on the front (facing you or same side of my inlet). I believe its do-able in what you're wanting to do. You'll just have to place your exhaust/filter in the front or next to your inlet (just like Glenn's).

glenn bradley
08-23-2011, 11:02 PM
If I coulda shoe-horned a 3HP in, I woulda done it. I reversed my blower so that the inlet and outlet are on the same side (Grizzly approved). If I'd only had about 4 more inches till I hit the overhead door rail . . . Oh well, the 2HP does a real nice job.

Joseph Tarantino
08-29-2011, 11:34 AM
and what about accessing that electrical panel?

phil harold
08-29-2011, 7:11 PM
and what about accessing that electrical panel?

+1 on that, Safety First

clear space needs to be provided for safety front side above and below electrical panel

not to mention a code violation...

Joe Angrisani
08-29-2011, 7:57 PM
Yeah....what they said. Is there a door on that electrical panel? All the breakers open to the atmosphere and dust right at the filter/return seems like a bad idea.

robert morrison
08-30-2011, 9:54 PM
If you build your own stand or buy the griz version you won't have to worry about vibration thru the office wall. The stand would also allow you to easily enclose the cyclone more to reduce the noise level in the shop. I have the shopfox 3 hp w1809 and the decibel level was in the low 90's. The vented enclosure reduced the noise by 9 db. 10 db is percieved as twice as loud.

I have a spreadsheet that is over a year old that has a comparison of most of the cyclones. If you want a copy, pm me an e-mail address to forward it to.