PDA

View Full Version : Elm and Aluminium

Johnny Taylor
08-23-2011, 6:39 PM
I had intended to carve this piece but when shaping I discovered lots of internal cracks around a hidden knot so moved to plan 'B'.I have kept some of the aluminium 'shavings' from recent pieces of mine and have used them to fill the holes, I have also rubbed silver 'gilt cream' into the open grain and hope these tie in with the aluminium finial. The timber is English Elm with lots of oil to darken it and bring out the grain colours and an acrylic lacquer finish over that. The piece is 5" wide.

Comments and critiques welcomed

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/silversmall.jpg

Roger Chandler
08-23-2011, 7:51 PM
Very nice..........I like the aluminum shavings as fillers................good looking form.

Baxter Smith
08-23-2011, 8:09 PM
Very pretty wood and shape Johnny. I like the aluminum finial but can't say I care for the filler. I don't have a suggestion for anything better though, and I can see why you used it.

Curt Fuller
08-23-2011, 9:21 PM
I really like what you've done with this. The aluminum fill and finial are definitely different. But the "gilt cream" in the grain really adds to this, gives it a certain sparkle.

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2011, 9:25 PM
That is a different look with Aluminum. I like it especially the finial.

Harry Robinette
08-23-2011, 11:39 PM
I like it. I've been saving aluminum shavings from my mill to try this myself now I'll have to be #2 in using the aluminum.
If you wouldn't mind please PM me what glue you used to keep the aluminum shiny.

Kathy Marshall
08-24-2011, 12:38 AM
I like it Johnny! I imagine it sparkles and shimmers in the light as you move it.

Billy Tallant
08-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Very nice form, Johnny! I like the aluminum filling. Never thought about something like that. That silver gilt cream gives it a nice touch.

Johnny Taylor
08-24-2011, 5:28 AM
Thanks for the replies :) much appreciated.

Harry you have PM.

Michelle Rich
08-24-2011, 6:08 AM
neat piece..I like the gilt cream..very subtle look in the grain. I'm still learning to like metal & wood creations....

Dan Hintz
08-24-2011, 6:46 AM
I like the shape of the finial, but I think I would have preferred brass as the material of choice for both finial and infill. If there was no need to fill in the crack, I think the aluminum finial would have been fine by itself.

Steve Schlumpf
08-24-2011, 8:17 AM
Interesting variation on materials! I really like the color combination and the creme does add a different sheen to the wood! Nice work John - looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

John Keeton
08-24-2011, 9:09 AM
Very well done! While I like this combo, I am more drawn to the combined warmth of the brass and elm - seems they compliment each other much better. However, this is a refreshing change, and very attractive. Interesting effect in the open grain with the gilt cream.