PDA

View Full Version : 6" Grizzly Jointer from 2000?

Anthony Scott
08-23-2011, 5:43 PM
There is a 6" grizzly Jointer made in 2000 for sale around me. it looks to be in great condition , he is asking $250. I think theprice may be alittle too high. I have never had a jointer before and i am a little hesitant to buy one that is 11 years old. Is there anything else I should watch out for?Thanks

Bruce Wrenn
08-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I have an 88 model, and a mid to late ninties also. Both work flawlessly. Grizzly maintains parts with no problem. Because many of Grizzly's new machines evolved over the years, parts from newer machines sometimes fit.

Carl Beckett
08-24-2011, 8:28 AM
There isnt that much that can go wrong with these, so a unit from 2000 isnt a big deal.

Take a straight edge for a quick check of flatness of the tables. If they roll off at the ends, or have cupping or bowing then pass to the next oppy. Check to make sure the controls all work smoothly - adjustments on the table infeed height, fence squareness, etc. Check for rust - for that price there should be none. A little surface rust that polishes out with steel wool wont matter.

See how sharp the knives are. If you have to sharpen them then adjust the price for that. An extra set of knives is very useful, and if he has any type of adjustment fixture include that (most jointers come with a bar to set knife height - that should be a minimum with the package).

Other considerations - rollers on the base to make it easy to move. Any type of dust collection adapter. Of course make sure the on/off switch works smoothly without grabbing, and make sure it runs and sounds smooth. Even check the cord length to be sure it reaches.

The other consideration might be - how you plan to use it. Fine for straightening edges and doing table top glue ups, but if you are facing material, you most likely will want to add a planer to your shopping list.

Finally, try search tempest to quickly shop around in your region to what might be listed on CL.

Good luck!

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2011, 8:35 AM
My Dad has one of about that vintage. It's pretty spiffy! Just wish he had bout the 8" model...

Anthony Scott
08-24-2011, 8:38 AM
Great info. Thanks!

Ryan Hellmer
08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Not a grizzly, but my jointer is about 70 years old... I would go take a look at it. Grizzly quality has come a long way in the last decade or so. As others have said, not much to go wrong on these so if it looks to be in good shape and is reasonably flat and square (and runs well), I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

Don Jarvie
08-24-2011, 4:22 PM
250s not bad for a 6 inch jointer from Grizzly. If its in good condition offering 200 is reasonable. Carl has some good things to look for. I would expect to do some clean up, maybe some surface rust on the tables. None of that should be a show stopper unless its badly pitted from rust.

I wouldn't worry about the blades. Put new ones on when you get the machine. Who knows how long the old ones have been on for even though they may look good.