PDA

View Full Version : Need information about this saw

Herb Smith
08-23-2011, 5:42 PM
Came into this saw last weekend and not sure what I have. There is no medallion and, obviously, I haven't begun to clean it up. Handle is wood but I don't know yet what type. Kind of looks like a hacksaw but it is somewhat larger than what we see today. Does anyone have any idea about this saw? Blade has 11 tpi

Thanks

Herb

Bruce Page
08-23-2011, 5:51 PM
Looks like a vintage hacksaw from the days before plastic.

David Young
08-23-2011, 6:39 PM
Herb,
That is a butcher's saw. If you clean the rust off the frame at the top center often a makers mark is stamped in the metal there.
David

Greg Visser
08-23-2011, 6:39 PM
That's the same style as a meatcutter's bone saw. Most farms had them around for hog butchering time.

Greg

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-23-2011, 7:11 PM
Work had some power hacksaws, one of which took longer blades - which might be a workable source for replacement blades, if that's the ultimate goal here...

Herb Smith
08-24-2011, 4:18 PM
A maker's mark - like a symbol or letter? Or did you mean that the name of the manufacturer might be stamped there? There is no manufacturer's name stamped, but there could be a symbol or letter (will know more after further cleaning). If a symbol, is there anywhere that I can go to cross reference the symbol to a manufacturer? Thanks for your help.

harry strasil
08-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Hardware stores used to carry blade stock for those meatsaws in bulk rolls, I got some from the hdwe store across the alley, but it needed refiling before it would cut wood decently.