PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a sliding TS. Has anyone used the Grizzly GO700?

Matt Mackinnon
08-23-2011, 5:13 PM
I have a small shop and am in need of a sliding table saw. Being in Toronto Canada, it's not a simple drive out to a local Grizzly showroom to see a unit. I am wondering if anyone out there has a GO700 and what they think of the unit? The price is significantly cheaper than the European competitors like Hammer, SCM or Laguna.

I'd like to know if these units are as good as their Cabinet saws like the GO690.

Any feedback on the GO700 would be much appreciated.

Matt.

Brent Ring
08-23-2011, 5:42 PM
Not sure if you are interested in the info, but I have the G0623X and am very happy as a heavy hobbyist user.

David Kumm
08-23-2011, 5:44 PM
Matt. The felder or SCM guys will tell you there is a lot of difference. I use a Knapp which was pretty top of the line until you get into Martin, Altendorf territory and will say that the stouter the saw, the better it will hold its settings when you drop plywood on the table. I would look real hard at a euro used saw if the new ones are out of reach. I would not put hammer in the league with Felder or SCMI or Minimax elite S. The slightest error in fence or slider settings causes slow death. If the saw was heavy, used will still outperform a lighter new one. dave

ed vitanovec
08-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Matt,

I too have the next larger saw G0623X, it is about $300 more and if you can afford the space it would be worth it. I've been using mine for about 2.5 years now and am very happy with it, only thing I don't like was the blade guard. The blade guard has been replaced with a shark guard recently and I'm happy with the new aftermarket guard. The G0500 is the same basic saw as mine except with a smaller sliding table. I think you will be happy with it if you don't need the larger sliding table. The quality is good and for the price it can't be beat, yes the euro sliders are nicer quality and can cost alot more money. Here is the link to my post. Regards! Ed

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?107213-Grizzly-G0623X-Sliding-Table-Saw-quot-GLOAT-quot

David Kumm
08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Matt, I looked up the model and see you are looking at a small crosscut rather than a full panel saw. Pretty tough to find those used and some of the strength issues I referred to earlier aren't as critical on a small saw. The hammer K3 winner is probably the closest comparable. For giggles take a look at the old Hammond Trim o saws on the internet. I use one to supplement the larger saw all the time. Doesn't dado, bevel, or even miter without modification but cuts dead on 90 degrees. Table slides about 18" and is a really handy little saw. Originally a printers saw cutting lead type. A good G100 goes for about $400. Dave

Matt Mackinnon
08-24-2011, 10:38 AM
My shop is not the biggest. I have moved into a new house with a detached double car garage. The inside measures 17'x18'. I know that I will not be doing much full sheet work, so I don't really need a full slider that can rip 8' boards. I am a home hobbyist who needs a new saw. I will be doing some sheet stock work as I am putting together replacement kitchen cabinets, and building a couple of built in wall units.

It seems there are two camps on doing this type of work. Those who believe in the slider saw, and those who feel that a cabinet saw is all you need and buy a Festool track saw to deal with sheet goods. I have worked with a large slider and find it easier to use for accurate cross cuts and breaking down sheets. But I know it's going to be a small part of what I have a saw for. I don't need a 12 or 14" saw designed for a full production shop. I am working in a garage for pete-sakes.

Looking at the GO623X, it looks to be a little bit larger than the GO700. I might be able to fit it into my shop. It would be good to know what the realistic space requirement for the unit it. Sadly the Grizzly workshop planner doesn't have many of the models they sell loaded into the system so you can't do a scale plan.

Ed, would you be able to get my the working footprint size for the GO623X? it would help in figuring out if it will fit and if that's a viable option for my shop.

Matt.

Brent Ring
08-24-2011, 2:57 PM
My G0623X sits in one bay of a 3 bay garage. To use it consumes about 1/2 of that bay, lengthwise. without the big sliding arm attachment it can go smaller, but I like it on there.

I can cross-cut 4'x8' without a problem, have not needed to rip a sheet yet... - but I have straight-line ripped 6' without a problem - and you gotta love that!

ed vitanovec
08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Matt,

The space required for the G0623X is 97" wide including slider fence and 126" for the total travel of the sliding table. The owners manual and specs can be downloaded from Grizzly Tools web site in PDF format, this too will help you figure if the size is right for your shop. If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to ask.

Regards!
Ed

Mike Goetzke
08-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Matt-have you considered a track saw system? I have a 3 hp UNI and after I stalled it while feeding a full sheet of ply by myself I bought a Eurekazone track system. I use it for almost all my cuts. I'm building kitchen cabinets right now and used it to cut all the carcasses and door panels.Mike

Ralph Butts
08-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Matt, I also have a 623X that I picked up about 5 weeks ago. My shop is a commandeered attached 2 car garage so floor space is a premium for me as well. In addition I have several larger pieces of floor standing equipment that make my work area ... cozy. If you are working out of a standard two car garage you should be able to fit the G0623X or the G0700 into your workspace. I have found the 623 to be a geat purchase and would happily do it again today. The larger slider is worth the price difference. I was able to find two pretty good deals one previously used and one at the Grizz annual tent sale, so a great deal can be found.