PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Chopmaster 10-Inch 80 Tooth ATBR Miter and Radial Saw Blade review

Ben Hatcher
08-23-2011, 4:19 PM
I just installed a Forrest Chopmaster radial saw blade on my radial arm saw. I can't belive how good the cut quality is. I cut some 4/4 red oak, 3/4 plywood, and MDF and got a fantastic finish on each. There was almost no chipout and not only could I not see sawmarks on the cut line, it actually looked like the cut line had been sanded up to 400 grit. The MDF was so smooth I could barely believe my eyes.

Here's a view of the cut line on some plywood. The piece on the left/bottom was cut with my old Freud Diablo 40 tooth blade. The one on the top/right is with the chopmaster. At $115 it wasn't cheap, but boy what sweet results.

David Kumm
08-23-2011, 4:55 PM
Ben, Has forrest changed the specs on the chopmaster? I had always thought the WWI was their radial saw blade and the chopmaster was a miter blade. The difference being the positive hook angle of the WWI vs neg for chopmaster. Both were designed to keep the board from climbing. Dave

David Kumm
08-23-2011, 6:32 PM
I just read the forrest website and see the chopmaster is used on both so I was in error in my thinking. The WWI is preferable to the chopmaster as a crosscut blade on a table saw but not on a radial arm. Dave

Don Jarvie
08-23-2011, 9:42 PM
I had been using a Freud 9 inch thin kerf blade on my Delta 900 RAS and was getting mixed results. I just got a 8 1/2 Chopmaster and the difference is amazing. Nice smooth cuts with no chipping.

Well worth the extra money in my opinion.