PDA

View Full Version : Like It Or Hate It,

Bruce Page
02-21-2005, 7:01 PM
I’m still undecided. :rolleyes:
This is something that I made for a friend of mine’s upcoming birthday. When I asked his girlfriend for ideas on what I could make for his western motif guest house, she suggested a hat rack. Not being much of a designer :confused:, this is what I came up with. The horseshoe thingy’s turned out to be more work that I expected, but the frame and shelves were pretty straight forward. The wood is Brazilian Cherry, Bocote, and Ironwood for the square pegs. The finish was two coats of shellac, two coats of Pennsylvania Cherry (on the cherry), three coats of varnish, and two coats of wax. His birthday is in a couple of weeks, he’ll either like it or burn it… :o

Wes Newman
02-21-2005, 7:11 PM
Bruce, I think it looks great. Not my style of hat rack, but if I wore a cowboy hat I'd like it.

Herb Blair
02-21-2005, 7:13 PM
I Like it Bruce. My kinda hat rack, but I wear a Stetson! (Don't all Texans?)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-21-2005, 7:17 PM
I didn't understand the horseshoes until I saw the cowboy hats. I really like it!

Ken Garlock
02-21-2005, 7:29 PM
Nice work, Bruce. If you friend doesn't like it, you can send it my way. :D

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 7:34 PM
Hmmm...looks like it does what it's designed to do very well. "You" don't have to love the design to appreciate this hat rack, Bruce! Excellent execution and I bet your friend will really appreciate it.

lou sansone
02-21-2005, 7:37 PM
very nice... Great color on the cherry. I also use a finish blend like you do. I love shellac, but without a top coat it is very susceptable to damage. All in all it looks balanced and proportioned. Like others have said, it is not something I would put in my 18th century new england home, but it is really very good.

Brian Buckley
02-21-2005, 7:39 PM
Bruce, I think it is super. Any cowboy should love it.

Brian

Kelly C. Hanna
02-21-2005, 8:08 PM
I think it looks great Bruce....fine job!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-21-2005, 8:30 PM
Very interesting project, Bruce - and well done, too.

Bruce

Tom Scott
02-21-2005, 8:38 PM
Bruce,
It looks great...you did a really good job.
BTW, you could sell a ton of these where I grew up (small town Texas).

Tom

Christopher Stahl
02-21-2005, 8:50 PM
Bruce, to tell you the truth, I thought it was rack to hold cue sticks. This was before I read the post, plus I saw the reflection of the rack of pool balls in the mirror.

Then I went down a little farther saw what it was. I thought it was pretty cool!

Good job and it's your design. Be proud!

chris

Bruce Page
02-21-2005, 9:03 PM
I Like it Bruce. My kinda hat rack, but I wear a Stetson! (Don't all Texans?)
Herb, I picked up the gray hats at the thrift shop to gage the horseshoe size with. They happen to be Baileys - also made in Texas. :cool:

Andy Pedler
02-21-2005, 9:12 PM
I think it's great. Certainly a one-of-a-kind piece. I think your friend will like it.

- ap

Bruce Page
02-21-2005, 9:12 PM
Thanks guys, your reaction is more positive than I expected. Maybe my friend won’t burn it! :)

Christopher, Good eye, I hung it temporarily in our pool room just to take the pictures. ;)

Frank Pellow
02-21-2005, 9:45 PM
Sorry, but I think its ugly. However, the workmanship is very good!

John Miliunas
02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Well, at first, I kinda' said, "Huh????":o But, with the cowboy hats populating it, it think it's great! Almost a shame that the nice detail on the horseshoes will be hidden by the brims, but it's still neat. Nice job on the whole thing and great detail! Me thinks your friend will not only like it, but you'll be hearing positive comments about it from him for a long time to come!:) :cool:

Bob Reeve
02-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I like it. It would have save my 2 hat from needing to be sent in to be-shaped.

Warren White
02-22-2005, 1:02 AM
Bruce,
As with other things I have seen of your work (for example, the very nicely executed cradle), this piece is outstanding! The finish and woodworking is excellent. I would have never thought of using the design you came up with (horse shoes for a western hat rack!) but that is just because I am not one of the free-thinking sorts. Did you get the idea somewhere, or is it an original?

Great job, and I am sure your friend will be thrilled. You are a true artist.

Warren

Charles McKinley
02-22-2005, 1:20 AM
Hi Bruce,

He will LOVE it! It will fit perfectly in his room. It craftsmanship is top notch. I'll be suprised if you are not ask to make others by his friends.

scott spencer
02-22-2005, 6:24 AM
I love it (minus the antlers), but they do appear to serve their purpose well, and what does a "Yankee" know about cowbay hat racks anyway?!

Jim Dunn
02-22-2005, 7:20 AM
Laying on it's side I thought it was some sort of display for a set of elk horns;) But now that I see it mounted on the wall I really like it's design. Now I don't have anybody comming to my hummble abode with a ten gallon hat on, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to steal that design. I'ts great!

Keith Christopher
02-22-2005, 11:05 AM
The functionality of the hat rack is so important, and you nailed it and great quality in workmanship. Did you think about making the stetson racks fold down ? Just a thought. The only issue I have with it is the amount of space it takes up out from the wall. Some people do LOVE their hats for sure.

Keith

Byron Trantham
02-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Great job Bruce. :D

Michael Ballent
02-22-2005, 12:33 PM
As I was scrolling down I was looking at each pic individually. I was scratching my head as well. My first thought was that it looked like abstract moose antlers, but after seeing the pic with the hats in place it clicked. Nicely done!!! Now that I understand the design behind it.

Bruce Page
02-22-2005, 7:35 PM
Thank you all for your comments – good & bad! (Frank, the next time you have somthing to say, just say it! I don't want you to pull any punches, OK? :) ;))

Warren, when I was looking for ideas I did come across a wrought iron rack that used real horseshoes. (it must have been a big horse!)

Keith, the horseshoes are made in two pieces with a mortise & tenon just below the base of the “Y”. I could have angled the Y down at 45* at the joint, if I had thought of it. I think it would have looked better... oh well :(

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 7:59 PM
Thank you all for your comments – good & bad! (Frank, the next time you have somthing to say, just say it! I don't want you to pull any punches, OK? :) ;))
OK Bruce; but you did ask us to be frank and, hey, I am Frank. :) But, I would not have comented if I did not think that your workmanship was excellent.

Bruce Page
02-22-2005, 9:42 PM
OK Bruce; but you did ask us to be frank and, hey, I am Frank. :) But, I would not have comented if I did not think that your workmanship was excellent.Frank, I very much appreciate your frankness and your compliment.

Kevin Herber
02-22-2005, 9:48 PM
Bruce - One of the neat things about gifts that we make is the opportunity to be unique. I really like the product and the execution. One comment or suggestion. Is there any way to hinge or rotate the arms so they are not sticking out when they don't have a hat? It looks like they may stick quite a ways out into the room - perhaps a head knocker or eye poker.

Your friend will cherish it.

-- Kevin

Bruce Page
02-22-2005, 9:59 PM
Bruce - One of the neat things about gifts that we make is the opportunity to be unique. I really like the product and the execution. One comment or suggestion. Is there any way to hinge or rotate the arms so they are not sticking out when they don't have a hat? It looks like they may stick quite a ways out into the room - perhaps a head knocker or eye poker.

Your friend will cherish it.

-- KevinKevin, as I mentioned in post#26, I could have angled them down had I thought of it. At this point they are pretty much a done deal. I’m hoping that my friend will mount it above a hall table in his foyer

Ken Gartin
02-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Love it! VERY nice work!

Lincoln Myers
02-23-2005, 3:24 PM
Bruce,

I like it a lot. I have a Dad, Grandfather and Uncle who would like it as well. Very nice work, I can picture it at 'home' in many of my family members' homes.

-Linc