PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of ManCans?

Belinda Barfield
08-23-2011, 3:39 PM
This is not in any way meant to be free advertising, I just think the story behind the product is really great. ManCans are candles in scents that are supposed to be appealing to men. At one point one of the scents was Sawdust, a few current ones are Coffee, Bacon, and New York Style Pizza. The founder of the company is 14 years old. He and his family buy full soup cans from the grocery and take them to soup kitchens. About two weeks later they pick up the empty cans, clean them up and remove the labels, and use them for the candles. What a great idea! He's helping out the soup kitchens and recycling - smart young man.

Bob Riefer
08-23-2011, 3:53 PM
That IS cool, although my juvenile sense of humor hear "Mancans" and thought immediately of the Seinfeld episode about the Manzier (sp?).

John Coloccia
08-23-2011, 4:22 PM
Belinda, dear Belinda. ROFL :X

Belinda Barfield
08-23-2011, 4:39 PM
Okay . . . apparently this is one of those times I'm not thinking like a guy . . . and apparently that's a good thing. Please don't feel the need to enlighten me!

Mike Henderson
08-23-2011, 6:27 PM
I've never understood the "need" for scents, of any kind. Our modern houses don't stink - certainly not to the level that we need to put some strong scent to cover up the natural smell (or lack of smell) in a house. I find most "scents" irritating and usually want to escape from the area where they are.

Mike

ray hampton
08-23-2011, 7:17 PM
how many different scents can we pick from ? what I need is a scent that will drive spiders away

Belinda Barfield
08-24-2011, 6:57 AM
how many different scents can we pick from ? what I need is a scent that will drive spiders away

Come up with that one and you've made your next million!

Marty Paulus
08-24-2011, 7:13 AM

On the boat the wife uses bounce dryer sheets stuffed in everywhere she can reach. Seems to do the trick in the cabin.

Belinda Barfield
08-24-2011, 8:55 AM
On the boat the wife uses bounce dryer sheets stuffed in everywhere she can reach. Seems to do the trick in the cabin.

I knew that dryer sheets are good flying insects, but I never thought of trying them for spiders.

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2011, 9:26 AM
I knew that dryer sheets are good flying insects, but I never thought of trying them for spiders.
Spiders, voles - & most guys too for that matter..;)
Take away the food supply (and/or beer supply :D ) and it get's rid of them too.
If the dryer sheets get rid of the flying bugs, the spiders will go elsewhere for a meal.
W/voles, you get rid of the grubs they feed on & they'll go to someone else's yard to tear it up looking for grubs.

W/us guys, hide the remote, pour out the beer and let the food run out & we'll wander off in a crazed daze, chewing on pieces of wood or grass, mindlessly stabbing at a remote that's not there and mumbling - beeeeeeer, beeeeeer,,,,must have beeeeer....

:D

Marty Paulus
08-24-2011, 9:59 AM

They seem to work well in the cabin. However up on deck under the canvas they are not as effective. On deck I use Hot Shot No Pest Strips and a fan to circulate the air. First year doing this and cut the spiders out by 98%. Only problem is the no pest strips don't smell nearly as good as the dryer sheets do.

Back on topic I have to give the young man credit for that idea. However I am not sure the wife would go for the sawdust scent.

Belinda Barfield
08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Back on topic I have to give the young man credit for that idea. However I am not sure the wife would go for the sawdust scent.

The young man's name is Hart Main. His sister was selling candles for a school fundraiser and he teased her about the girlie scents, then told her that it would be cool if they were "men-scented" . . . and the rest is history. Business is so good that he had to oursource the production of an Ohio candlemaker. I just think the best part of it all is the charity aspect. This guy is gonna' do big things one day.

Gary Max
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Go pick up some of the fruit from a Osage Orange and toss them under your home----yup those big green ugly bumpy things that kinda look like grapefruit.
No more spiders

ray hampton
08-24-2011, 6:13 PM
osage orange, I think that I will wait until you can come up with a concentrate version

Neal Clayton
08-24-2011, 8:31 PM
Belinda, dear Belinda. ROFL :X

i expected a medical miracle when opening this thread. i was disappointed.