PDA

View Full Version : Is it gloaty in here or is it just me?

john brenton
08-23-2011, 3:34 PM
My package arrived today and I'm stoked.

I got some "extra" money the other day (is there such a thing as extra when you're up to your hairline in debt??) so I just happened to do an ebay search for a plough plane.

All I wanted was a plough plane...I don't really need a combo plane, and have always thought them to be kind of hassle...but at the price I figured I'd just go for it. It is missing the slitting cutter, but other than that the cutter set is complete. Never sharpened, never used. From what I have read in the past a "never used" combo plane isn't really that hard of a find...but it's still going to cost you.

Also included was the Wards "duplex filletster", which will definitely see lots of use.

Anyone know why the spurs/knickers are so long? They seem really long to me.

Chris Griggs
08-23-2011, 4:07 PM
Nice gloat... That plough plane is sure to be useful, even if all you ever use if for is 1/4" grooves. I still need to get myself a plough but for now my router plane gets the job done. Filletsters are awesome - all have a bit of a learning curve, even the LV, but once you get them dialed in they do what they do oh so very well.

Brander Roullett
08-23-2011, 5:55 PM
I got one a while back, and even though all the posts said it was super finicky to set up and stuff, I've found it to be quite easy to use. I quite like mine.

badger

David Weaver
08-23-2011, 7:39 PM
45s are not difficult to set up if you use a cutter that is symmetrical, same with a 55. The issue is with the quality of the cut. As a plow, both a 55 and 45 will work fine and are easy to use - it doesn't matter if the bottom of the groove is torn out some. The aha moment comes when you try to use one to do mouldings that don't have all symmetrical cuts.

Andrew Gibson
08-23-2011, 9:37 PM
I have a simple 50. I use it all the time for running grooves in drawers and such. Works fine but there are a couple quirks that require a little learning... Once you get a feel for the plane it should be a really good user, and impress spectators to boot.

john brenton
08-24-2011, 9:13 AM
I took it for a test drive last night (of course) using the beading, the rebate, and grooving irons and it works flawlessy. I already love it. The only thing I don't know about are the spurs. I just don't know why they are so long.

Bill Houghton
08-24-2011, 1:55 PM
You really don't need the spurs for any long grain work; only when you're cutting dadoes or cross-grain rabbets or similar cross-grain work. Set them up out of the way when you don't need them.

John A. Callaway
08-24-2011, 2:08 PM
man... I hunted and hunted for a deal I felt safe with for a combo plane like this.... I gave up , mainly because I didnt know enough about them and was scared I would throw away a chunk of money on a .... for lack of a better word.... a tool shaped object. Most of what was available at the time looked worn out, used up , and put away wet... or was seriously up there in price on the bay....so I chickened out and bought the LV small plow. Great choice for me, for the money spent .... but no where near as versatile as that tool can be. You found a real gem. Lucky you. Maybe I should start keeping a closer eye out for one after all.

( oh, it is gloaty in here.... my LV router plane will be arriving tomorrow... )

Jim Koepke
08-24-2011, 2:26 PM
Anyone know why the spurs/knickers are so long? They seem really long to me.

I would have to see a picture of the knickers you are asking about to answer your question.

The clover leaf shaped knickers can be turned to be out of the way. There are some that are made to slide up and down to be taken out of the way.

I have a Wards Master 45 just like yours. Same as the Stanley 45.

I find the knickers can be useful on long grain if there is some grain direction changes.

jtk

john brenton
08-24-2011, 3:50 PM
Thanks for the responses. They are the clover shaped knickers, but they just seem to protrude quite a bit over what I would set a forked knicker at on my woodies. In the end it did produce clean results, but it just seems wrong.

I did find the "slitter" iron. It was already on the plane. I can't wait to give that a shot on thin woods.

John: I still haven't put it through all it's passes...I have yet to try dados even, but it's sweeeeeet. It wasn't a "backyard" find. I did pay for it. The combo plane and the rebate/fillitster were $120 plus shipping. I wouldn't have normally sprung for it but considering the price of a new tool I just couldn't resist.

John A. Callaway
08-24-2011, 5:03 PM
Thats a better deal than I estimated in my head... I figured you probably dropped about 200.00 before shipping , considering all the blades and how clean the tool is. I will certainly have to keep a look out the next time I have some " extra " money to spend !!!