PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in VA

Richard Jones
08-23-2011, 2:06 PM
Yes, you read that correctly. 5.8 quake just recorded. I was sanding a bowl on the lathe in my basement. Very scary. No amount of sand or concrete ballast would have prevented my lathe from shaking!!!!

Did I mention it was very scary?

Rich (and I thought unbalanced roughouts were bad...........) in VA

Marty Eargle
08-23-2011, 2:08 PM
Felt it right outside of Raleigh. Crazy.

John Fabre
08-23-2011, 2:24 PM
Wow, a 5.9, any damages, everyone alright, I used to live out there.

Tim Thiebaut
08-23-2011, 2:38 PM
You know oddly enough we had our first "big" one since 1978 last night here as well, 5.7.....it was about 100 miles south of my place but very very odd for colorado...glad your ok

Dan Hintz
08-23-2011, 2:45 PM
Yeah, "upgraded" to a 5.9 ;) Do I get extra peanuts with that upgrade?

Jim Underwood
08-23-2011, 2:54 PM
Wheeeee!

I used to live near a small fault in N. Pole, Alaska. We got small quakes often. Luckily nothing ever got broken, but it was still un-nerving. I don't think any of them were near that size though... I think most were around a 3.

Richard Jones
08-23-2011, 3:29 PM
Yeah, "upgraded" to a 5.9 ;) Do I get extra peanuts with that upgrade?

Dan,

Yep, just stay by the mailbox, they are on the way. Really............

I did see the 5.9, then saw it downgraded, then upgraded, so I think I will just call it 5.richwasscared

Roger Chandler
08-23-2011, 3:53 PM
I was sitting in my truck at taco bell when it hit.......had just gone out for lunch. My truck began to roll and shake......I looked at the trees to see if the wind was really that strong.......then looked around to see if somebody was shaking my vehicle......about 4 minutes later the guy on the radio reported the quake.

My wife called me on my cell phone to ask if I felt it...........yep! Strange.....over my life I have been in 3 different quakes... none major, but it happens so infrequently, you almost don't realize it is happening until it is over and you realize what it was.

James Combs
08-23-2011, 4:05 PM
Last one I was in was back in the 70's, Georgetown, KY. I had a fired up chainsaw in my hands going at a big limb or log, didn't notice a thing:eek:. A few seconds after it happened my wife came running our of the house and yelled, "DID YOU FEEL THAT", I look at her like she was some kind of... anyway I yelled back "FEEL WHAT"... that was pretty much the experience.:)

Ron Conlon
08-23-2011, 4:12 PM
I was sitting in my truck at taco bell when it hit.......had just gone out for lunch. My truck began to roll and shake......I looked at the trees to see if the wind was really that strong.......then looked around to see if somebody was shaking my vehicle......

This has been my experience every time I've eaten at Taco Bell.

Alan Zenreich
08-23-2011, 4:16 PM
I felt it shaking here in northern NJ

Roger Chandler
08-23-2011, 4:26 PM

Ron.............205921

Betty Fox
08-23-2011, 4:52 PM
LOL. Funny one Ron.

Michael Ginsberg
08-23-2011, 5:01 PM
Buidling was rockin a bit up here in CT!!

Greg Just
08-23-2011, 5:03 PM
Wheeeee!

I used to live near a small fault in N. Pole, Alaska. We got small quakes often. Luckily nothing ever got broken, but it was still un-nerving. I don't think any of them were near that size though... I think most were around a 3.

I was in North Pole Alaska 5 years ago - nice place to visit (in July)

Richard Jones
08-23-2011, 5:13 PM

Classic!!! Love it!!!

Dennis Simmons
08-23-2011, 5:31 PM
Yes, you read that correctly. 5.8 quake just recorded. I was sanding a bowl on the lathe in my basement. Very scary. No amount of sand or concrete ballast would have prevented my lathe from shaking!!!!

Did I mention it was very scary?

Rich (and I thought unbalanced roughouts were bad...........) in VA

Elvis bowl, All Shook Up!!!!

Jim Heikes
08-23-2011, 6:20 PM
I was removing a tenon from an 18" walnut bowl when my 3520B started walking. As they say........nice CATCH. The bowl flew off the lathe in 3 pretty pieces. No more turning during an earthquake I guess.

ray hampton
08-23-2011, 6:28 PM
I never felt the quake and am glad that all lives were spared

Cathy Schaewe
08-23-2011, 6:55 PM
I felt it here in upstate NY .... my office is on the top floor of an 18-story building, and the furniture and lamps started to shake.

Robert McGowen
08-23-2011, 7:20 PM
I was removing a tenon from an 18" walnut bowl when my 3520B started walking. As they say........nice CATCH. The bowl flew off the lathe in 3 pretty pieces. No more turning during an earthquake I guess.

Yea, yea, that's it.... There was this earthquake.... and then.... yea, the eathquake did it.... :)

I'l have to remember this one for my next catch. :D

curtis rosche
08-23-2011, 7:34 PM
i was welding steel and didnt feel a thing, but it probably happened right when i dropped a beam, not sure though cause i wasnt lookin at the clock and didnt feel the floor move, other than what i dropped

Jeff Bartley
08-23-2011, 7:41 PM
Hey Roger,
Were you at the taco bell on 33? If so I was driving right by you when the quake struck....unfortunately for me I was driving and didn't even notice it! I still can't believed I missed it!
And one day I will make it to a turning meeting!

Roger Chandler
08-23-2011, 7:48 PM
Hey Roger,
Were you at the taco bell on 33? If so I was driving right by you when the quake struck....unfortunately for me I was driving and didn't even notice it! I still can't believed I missed it!
And one day I will make it to a turning meeting!

Jeff,

I was at the one on South Main.........next to the McDonalds. When you gonna join us for one of the turners meetings?

Steve Vaughan
08-23-2011, 8:07 PM
Yup, house shook really hard here in Chesterfield, another tremor as I type this right now. 8:05 p.m. A long tremor.

Weird, I was replying when that tremor just hit. We had a hard shake and the sound was as loud as a chopper landing on top of the house. Epicenter was just a few miles NW of Richmond, a town called mineral. They had quite a bit of damage with some brick walls coming down, a few chimneys on the end of houses.

Jim Burr
08-23-2011, 9:20 PM
USGS teams are heading out to asses buildings now. Injuries were minimal. Last reported EQ of any size was about 3.9...5.8, which is what was determined, is about 10,000x as strong as a 3.9. EQ's are not measured in a sequentially or exponentially, so this had the potential of being a little rough. Hope everyone in the zone is doing well!

Dan Hintz
08-24-2011, 7:02 AM
Felt an aftershock around 8 last night...