PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Hampton Roads

Ted Calver
08-23-2011, 1:56 PM
Just had a nice roller here in Yorktown. Thought I was back in Alaska. Update. News said 5.8 outside DC. That will shake things up.

David Weaver
08-23-2011, 2:11 PM
Felt a little jiggle up here in WPA. Not much, though. (apparently several places around here evacuated, anyway).

John Coloccia
08-23-2011, 2:53 PM
I was standing with my head down writing something. It totally messed up my equalibrium and I almost fell over. I thought I was having a stroke. Total Red Foxx moment. "I'm coming 'Lizbeth...". LOL.

Josh Rudolph
08-23-2011, 3:18 PM
5.9 magnitude centered 4 miles from Louisa, VA.

Louisa is about 85 miles from DC. About 25 miles West of I-95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond.

Rod Sheridan
08-23-2011, 3:33 PM
I was standing with my head down writing something. It totally messed up my equalibrium and I almost fell over. I thought I was having a stroke. Total Red Foxx moment. "I'm coming 'Lizbeth...". LOL.

Funny, that was exactly my experience here in Toronto, untill I looked at the mug of tea on my desk and realised that the desk was moving......Rod.

charlie knighton
08-23-2011, 3:39 PM
i was watching cnbc, looked outside, thought maybe a tree had come down, no wind, about 10 minutes later they announced it on tv, they said the center was mineral, va. that was my first, hope there are no after shocks.

Paul McGaha
08-23-2011, 3:41 PM
It was a pretty good shake. I'd say 5 to 10 seconds. You could hear the ductwork above the ceiling rattling around.

They evacuated our building for just a few minutes.

We were more surprised than anything.

No one hurt and dosent seem to be any damage to our building.

PHM

Jeremy Brant
08-23-2011, 3:42 PM
I was sitting in a meeting on the ground floor, cement flooring. Our initial thought was that it was the construction happening outside the building, and I didn't know until I got back to my office (different building) that it was an earthquake. They evacuated all of our buildings until further notice, so I called it an early day and came home. This was the second quake that I've been through, overall feeling of 'yawn', much ado about little.

Bob Riefer
08-23-2011, 3:55 PM
West Chester PA here, felt it pretty strongly in our office building. It totally messed with my equilibrium as well. Still feeling sort of weird, as if I just got off a roller coaster.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2011, 4:16 PM
I didn't even notice. I was out running errands over a very late lunch break. I was probably in the car at the time.

Jacob Mac
08-23-2011, 5:05 PM
I am in Charlottesville for some training and we felt it pretty good. I have never been in an earthquake before.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2011, 5:26 PM
CNN and Yahoo are both reporting that it disrupted a press conference. :eek: Oh the humanity!

Edit: And they are trying to make a news story out of the fact that the nuclear plant Keith worked at shut down automatically.

That said, it sounds like there was some actual damage. Not something you expect to hear about the east coast.

Scott Shepherd
08-23-2011, 8:29 PM
CNN and Yahoo are both reporting that it disrupted a press conference. :eek: Oh the humanity!

I thought the same thing. I'm in Richmond, so only 25-30 miles from it, was driving at the time and didn't know anything happened. I started listening to the news later and I heard "A pipe in the Pentagon broke but they shut the water off and it's all okay now".

Gee, a earthquake, 1 broken water pipe inside a building, which they cut off, and THAT'S the headline news? Wow....is all I can say :)

When a pipe in my house broke, it didn't make the news :(

Chris Kennedy
08-23-2011, 8:51 PM
I definitely felt it here. When it started, my initial thought was "It's an earthquake" and then my second thought was "There aren't earthquakes in Virginia! It's from the construction going on next to my building." But it kept going and made me feel nostalgic for California.

Cheers,

Chris

Matt Meiser
08-24-2011, 9:01 PM
Nominated in the best use in the social media category, from this local store's Facebook posting:
Who felt the earthquake yesterday? Too shook-up to cook? Pick up a fresh 'heat and serve' entree and sides from The Andersons Deli.