PDA

View Full Version : HF #5 & #6 - Spalted Maple

mike ash
08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I just completed these two. Obviously they are HF #5 and #6 for me.

This first one is 10.5" X 6" and is from a dry piece of spalted maple with a lot of soft spots (which I treated with the 50/50 elmers glue and water before final cutting and sanding). It had a bark inclusion that I liked and left in. Hollowed to 1/4" except over the area of the inclusion.

This second one is 14.5" X 6" and is from the post about me smiling with the new steady from Jeff Nicol. I'll show the beginning piece again. I loved the marbling and color of this piece.

From this........

To This.....

C&C's Welcome, Mike Ash

John Keeton
08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Mike, this is some outstanding work! Beautiful wood, and your execution is excellent. I am not a personal fan of the collars/necks (the one on the vase is better IMO), but that doesn't take away from what you have accomplished here. Moving ahead quickly!!

Roger Chandler
08-23-2011, 1:09 PM
I like the one on the tall vase.....very nice.....beautiful wood. Both are nice forms...........Lookin' good Mike!

charlie knighton
08-23-2011, 1:18 PM
very nice, pretty wood

Jon Nuckles
08-23-2011, 1:42 PM
Well done for #5 or #50! I especially like the shorter one.

Jim Burr
08-23-2011, 2:08 PM
Beeeeeeutiful Mike!! The forms and wood are super. I like a little more subdued collar...but the idea is great. Keep it up!!

Bill Bolen
08-23-2011, 4:01 PM
Both are first rate but...the colors in that vase just send me all ashiver!

David E Keller
08-23-2011, 4:04 PM
Beautiful pieces, Mike! Lovely form and finish on both pieces!

Baxter Smith
08-23-2011, 8:14 PM
Great job on both shapes and finish Mike. Beautiful wood in both but IMO the collars compete with the wood for attention. Maybe if they were shorter and the color of them was a little more subdued. Regardless, outstanding work on # 5 and 6!

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2011, 9:26 PM
Both of those are beauties and that is some beautiful wood.

Jeff Nicol
08-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Mike, They are both beautiful! I am glad the big wheel of metal is helping in your progress into hollow forms! Great forms and finish, you should be very proud.

Keep them coming,

Jeff

Rick Markham
08-24-2011, 2:52 AM
Mike, they are great looking! Your ahead of me :p I'm just now finishing up my number 6 :)

I really like both forms, especially the first one. I like the collars, especially the one on the taller form. The only critique I can see, is on the tall form. If you "tuck" the bottom edge in, it will make the base a bit softer and not so abrupt. Very well executed! I love the maple, spectacular! I can't wait to see number 7 and 8 ;)

Johnny Taylor
08-24-2011, 5:23 AM
Mike, great work. Number 5 is great and if I had to choose is my favourite of these two. The shape timber and collar look sweet. The only slight criticism of number 6 is the base finishes too squarely, rounding off those edges at the bottom will make all the difference. Keep it up, 7,8,9,10,11........ will only get better and better :)

Michelle Rich
08-24-2011, 6:11 AM
I like them both, but am more partial to the tall form. only #5&6? WOW!

Steve Schlumpf
08-24-2011, 8:34 AM
Mike - nice work on both forms! Looks like you have the finishing down well! As far as things to think about for your next ones... just to echo some of the comments already made... on your collars, remember that less is more. Every time you add a cove, a bead or other embellishment, you want to add to the flow of the overall curve or draw attention to that particular area. The collar on the first form is somewhat abrupt as it does not continue with the original curve and also adds a few more of it's own. Not a problem if that was intended but also, gauging by the responses here, something you should consider the next time you turn a collar.

I also agree with rounding over the bottom edge of the vase. You want the piece to look like it is sitting lightly on the surface of the table.

Other than that - great looking wood, finish and the curves on both look pretty good! Have fun and I look forward to seeing more hollow forms from you real soon!

mike ash
08-24-2011, 9:23 AM
Folks - I really appreciate the comments on these.

1. I can now see that I need to tone down the collars a bit, especially where the character and color of the wood is so striking.

2. I'm trying to digest the comment several of you had about "tucking in the bottom" on the vase. I'll play around with that on my next post of a vase.

Helpful comments like these are what I love about this SMC site!!!!!

Thanks, Mike Ash