PDA

View Full Version : Putty recipes

johnny means
08-23-2011, 1:41 AM
Anyone have any good recipes for colored wood filler? Not cherry and walnut type color, but real colors like bright pink, lavender, baby blue etc. It need not be sandable or dry really hard, I just need to fill a few micro pin holes in prefinished parts.

Gene Howe
08-23-2011, 7:29 AM
Depending on the type of filler....oil or water based....I've had success mixing small batches with either artist's oil paints or acrylics.
Probably get the same results using oil or water based paints in those small test cans from ACE Hardware. Less color choice but cheaper.

Rich Engelhardt
08-23-2011, 8:10 AM
Yep artists acrylics work fine.
Oils need some varnish mixed in to help them dry.

Spackle, plaster of Paris and even powdered fast set drywall compound make a good aggregate.

For very small work & something eveyone has on hand, a 2 part flour to 1 part salt mix can be colored with regular food coloring.
Salt dough is thousands ( if not tens of thousands) years old that was revived in the 1950's as school made "play dough".
A drop of Lysol will help keep the mold away.
The dough goes in just like any other patching material. It hardens in a day or two.

Dave Lash
08-23-2011, 5:45 PM
Boaters use a gelcoat repair kit to fix small defects in their boat hulls. The kit has a polyester resin, six tubes of color, and a tube of hardner. It is basically like a colored epoxy, and the colors can be mixed to get a color match. I have used it to patch a fiberglass shower stall and a simulated marbel sink counter.

http://www.amazon.com/Fibre-Glass-Evercoat-Gel-Coat-Repair/dp/B0000AXTGZ

Harvey Pascoe
08-23-2011, 8:41 PM
You'd be amazed at how many errors I fix with art paint. Once you get good at mixing colors, one can cover up just about anything. Use only water colors for use with water base finish, otherwise you'll never get a match. Oil or acrylic for use under varnish or oil finishes.