PDA

View Full Version : In laid Veneer - bleach spots

libby turtle01
08-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Everybody,

We have bought a second hand veneer table which has a couple of bleach spots on it. It isnt an old table so I suspect the veneer isnt very thick. I'd like to try and spruce it up and re-seal the table top...otherwise I will paint it whcih seems like a shame.

From some online research I think I need to sand it down with a fine grade paper, re-stain it with an oil rub and then varnish it with a spar varnish.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct and maybe add anymore to these instructions? I am a woodwork virgin so need as detailed instructions as possible!! I have seen photos on here of a veneer table that was given an amazing renovation (Mathias?) so would really appreciate your help.

Thanks very much

Libby

Scott Holmes
08-23-2011, 12:54 AM
I say NO on the sanding... Terrible way to remove old finish. You would be better off having someone with experience do the work for you; say a Guardsman Furniture repair or a Furniture Medic or whatever it's called. Learning on your tabletop could be a very dissapointing endevor.

Harvey Pascoe
08-23-2011, 8:25 PM
I think you should at least determine the depth of those spots. If it is just the finish that is affected, the problem is easily resolved with a card scraper and sandpaper. Scrape it down to see how deep the discoloration is. The table top is likely a 1/40" veneer so that if the veneer is bleached also, there is only one way to fix the spots and that is to color them back to original color. I use a water color artists set for this task which allows for very exact color matching IF you have any art experience with mixing colors.