PDA

View Full Version : Midi lathe for newbie

Jonathan Smith
08-22-2011, 9:33 PM
My first post here.

I'm planning to purchase my first lathe. I'm thinking about the Delta 46-460 or waiting for the Nova Comet II that I've read about. The Delta is 1 hp while the Nova will be 3/4 hp and less expensive (and possibly more versitile.

I am interested in turning boxes and small bowls.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Roger Chandler
08-22-2011, 9:44 PM
I would go with the Delta 46-460 if it were my decision......that is a full featured lathe with more hp and reversing as well as electronic VS speed control...............in my opinion it is the most lathe for the money on the market at present as far as midi lathes go.

Very well thought of machine on this forum!

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Having owned (and, occasionally still miss) a Delta 46-460, I would think any other lathe would have to make morning coffee, and give back rubs to be more versatile. Get the Delta! You will not be disappointed - I promise.

Jeff Fagen
08-22-2011, 11:17 PM
You might as well avoid the Christmas rush and get the Delta right away because thats all you're going to hear from us,me included.I love my Delta 46-460.;)

Marty Eargle
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
You're not going to find many occasions where you pick the less powerful lathe. After you start turning and get addicted...you'll understand. :)

Steve R Baker
08-23-2011, 6:53 AM
I vote for the Delta.

Carol Kinney
08-23-2011, 7:05 AM
Yep I vote for the Delta also and that's what I've been using for the last year. I love it . . . except for one thing and that's the on/off switch. I don't like having to reach over my turning to switch it off - just a little thing because it's easy and cheap to fix. I just added a switch that I can either hit with my knee or my hand on the side of my stand - works great. I looked at a few others and have used one with 1/2 hp - go with the Delta 46-460 that has 1hp hands down.

Andrew Kertesz
08-23-2011, 7:12 AM
The Nova looks very interesting. While it is only 3/4 hp., it is reversible, variable speed, 12" swing, 14" betweeen centers, extendable bed, hollow spindle, (you could set up a vacuum system), plus the various accessorries on the outboard end of the headstock. I have a 1624 and am very happy with it. Either one would be an excellent choice.

Bill Bulloch
08-23-2011, 7:49 AM
I had a Jet Mini and upgraded to the Delta 46-460 when they came out. Both are good lathes, but the Delta out performs the Jet in everyway. If money is not the object I'd go with the Delta too.

Peter Lamb
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Delta 46-460 best of the midis.
A very happy user,
Peter

Tim Rinehart
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Yep, another plus to the Delta. And one more thing...when ready to get a bigger lathe...get a bigger lathe and don't get rid of the Delta...it's a great lathe that will last a long time and it's always nice to have a second lathe, or one you can take to demos...or in-laws if traveling on vacation!

Jonathan Smith
08-25-2011, 6:36 AM
Thanks everyone for all the comments! I guess I'm leaning toward the Delta now!
Jonathan