PDA

View Full Version : Well...darn

Jim Burr
08-22-2011, 8:57 PM
I had just finished an Indian bowl and started finishing a pen order today, I heard a horrid scream from the head hearing on my Jet. 6 years of torture finally took it's toll, finished the $300 worth of pens and loaded the girl in the truck for repairs. At least my wife is still here...is that her? Hmmmm....yeah...pictures look like the same girl!
Stacey was kind of happy...but was happy to say "oh yeah...get it fixed"
Boo hoo:(

Bill Bolen
08-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Jim, sounds like you may have missed a once in a lifetime opportunity for an "approved" upgrade. Making $$ and the lathe broke. Coulda had a Robust my friend!

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Something in the air today. For me it was my bandsaw motor. Off to the fixit shop tomorrow!

Dan Hintz
08-23-2011, 6:46 AM
After sitting untouched for half a year, I was finally able to get my brand spankin' new bandsaw up and running a month or two ago. A couple of weeks ago I starting hearing a chirping sound, which got progressively worse. Long story short, when I reassembled the upper wheel, I must have torqued the nut down too tightly... roasted the bearings in short order.

This past weekend, after sawing 95% of my huge fall-off pile into small blanks, I threw a Maple crotch onto the table. I saw sparks... not good. When I pulled back, two pea-sized quartz rocks fell out. Toasted a two-week old blade. The drift angle went from zero to something in the area of 30 degrees :( I need to order more at once.

Tim Rinehart
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Not too much sucks as bad as a fairly fresh bandsaw blade that gets toasted either by something in the wood...or a dumb catch that puts a kink in it. Good article in this months AAW journal about bandsaw maintenance...and avoidance of those dangerous and blade unfriendly catches.

Jim Burr
08-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Jim, sounds like you may have missed a once in a lifetime opportunity for an "approved" upgrade. Making $$ and the lathe broke. Coulda had a Robust my friend!

I think that's out of my league Bill;)...but once the Jets go on sale in Oct/November, all the pen sales have allowed me to get my 1642 EVS. I'm waiting until the last minute because I'll be getting a vaccum chuck and a couple of new Thompsons at the same time:D

Michael James
08-23-2011, 3:06 PM
Well, that just sucks, but glad to hear you're moving up according to your wants! Good luck on the repair.
mj

Bill Bolen
08-23-2011, 3:58 PM
In that case Jim here's a hearty early congrat's!

Harry Robinette
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Jim
Watch how long you wait. I believe that JET Equipment is going up OCT 01 2011. 20 to 30% for fall yearly price rise. Then on sale 15 to 20% off the new price.
Thats what we been hearing around here.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2011, 9:04 AM
Harry a friend of mine told me the same thing. He said anywhere from 25 to 30%. Won't be long and the 3520B will be the same price as a Oneway.:eek: