PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Edge Sander Mod

Matt Meiser
08-22-2011, 8:30 PM
I bought a Grizzly G0512 edge sander a couple years ago. Other than wishing that it was a little longer, its a great tool--except for one complaint: the rather flimsy plywood table. Actually, I'm not so sure the table was flimsy as much as warp-prone due to probably being the Chinese plywood we all know and love and due to the fact its only laminated on one side. I've been meaning to make a new table by laminating (both sides) of some good plywood and tracing the old one. However, I had an old maple handrail (think of those railings in hospitals, only in maple) from our basement stairs which we replaced with something a little more traditional. I finally put 2 and 2 together and re-purposed the wood for this table. Shouldn't have to worry much about sag on this one. Since I never use the back side of the belt or the end, I just made the front half of the table. A side benefit is that it fits closer to the wall now too. I might make some kind of shield back there since it seems kind of open now.

Doug Morgan
08-22-2011, 9:05 PM
Matt Nice work there. That should serve you much better than the Chinese playwood (I spelled it like that on purpose).:p

Looks great.
Doug

David Kumm
08-22-2011, 9:42 PM
Nice Matt. Now you need a miter gauge on the end for out of square stuff- oops, that is my problem. How is the dust collection. I made a second hood with a 4x10 HVAC boot and run 5" on both ends. Seems like the dust wins. Dave

Matt Meiser
08-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I have a 3hp Grizzly cyclone which does a pretty good job. I think if I were to use the back or end I'd say differently though.

David Kumm
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Drawer sides are the worst. When I sand 7" sides it takes huge cfm but once you use an edge sander it is hard to do without. Dave

glenn bradley
08-23-2011, 1:23 PM
Very cool upgrade Matt.