PDA

View Full Version : help finding woodworking stores in Dallas area

Zahid Naqvi
02-21-2005, 5:14 PM
I'll be visiting Dallas around the end of March. I'll appreciate if someone can point me to woodworking stores in the Dallas-Forthworth area. The only one I know is woodcraft, my impressions is they are a little pricey. Any others?

Steve Jenkins
02-21-2005, 6:15 PM
not sure what you are looking for but there is a Rockler's in Mesquite which is right next to Dalllas. If you didn't know it was a different city you wouldn't know. If you are looking for wood there is Curly Woods in Mckinney north of Dallas about 20 minutes. Ausitn Hardwoods and Hardwood Lumber Co. are both on the west side of Dallas.

Martin Shupe
02-21-2005, 9:13 PM
Go see Mike Mastin at Curly Woods. You won't regret it. Then arrange to have your lumber shipped home. I'll bet you can't leave without buying some wood!

Zahid Naqvi
02-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks, I'll visit curly woods. I was thinking more about tools than lumber. I am travelling with my family and as such space in our van will be limited.

James Carmichael
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
If you come out to the better side of D/FW, there's a Woodcraft at I30 & Green Oaks road (West Fort Worth). Also one in N. Dallas on Spring Valley & Marsh (I have to admit, it's bigger and better than the Cowtown store). Also another Rockler in Arlington. And my personal home-away-from-home, Austin Hardwoods in North Irving (just south of I635 near Royal and Luna). Best take your lunch, they have stacks and stacks of hardwoods and will let you cull through and pick out one board.

I'll make it up to Curly Woods one of these days...

Mike Mastin
02-22-2005, 1:09 PM
....but we try to always have some really pretty figured woods and a wide assortment of native and exotic turning woods that they don't have:D

We also carry the normal woods, but to be honest, we can't compete with Austin on their prices. What we can do is offer surfaced lumber so that you can see exactly what you are buying, and we can face joint, edge joint and S4S any lumber in the shop (well up to 16" wide:)) Thats as wide as the jointer can handle.
We can surface your figured wood purchases for you too! Not many people have helical head planers to do this step without severe tear out on the highly figured woods.