PDA

View Full Version : Next Tool?

Fred Hubert
02-21-2005, 5:00 PM
I still need a bandsaw, drill press, mortiser, and panel cutting guide system. But my funds aren't unlimited so I tend to look for the bang for the buck purchase -- I'm not a pro so I don't need the best of anything.

Next projects are going to be shop cabinets, NYW Router table, lots of Mission style furniture.

I'm stumped because I can come up with a reason not to get any one of these now, but no reason why I have to have any one of them over the others. For example:

Bandsaw - I have a benchtop that will allow me to cut curves and I can clean them up on my OSS, but I'd sure like to move up to the Grizzly G0555
Drill Press - When you need one it sure is wonderful to not have to take your project pieces to a friend's house. Have my eye on the Ridgid, but so far I've managed to get by with hand held drills
Mortiser - Still undecided on whether I want a dedicated hollow chisel mortiser or if I'd be better off using my router and the Quick Tenon, Woodrat or similar setup so that is another ball of wax altogether. Besides, I can justify this purchase when it comes time to make the Mission style furniture so it can wait.
Panel Cutting Guide - Can't justify the cost of the Festool so it would probably be the EZ Smart Guide setup. Reviewing it makes me want 150" of guides, the router kit, clamping system, case... And then I think all that to cut panels when I could make a sawboard and buy another tool instead?

Are there short-term or long-term considerations to this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance,
~ Fred

Maurice Ungaro
02-21-2005, 5:05 PM
One thing is for sure, if you have a good drill press, you don't need a mortiser. You actually don't need either to make mortises if you have a router.

Maurice

Dan Stuewe
02-21-2005, 5:11 PM
Based on what you said here I would say a panel cutting system would be a slam dunk. I use the Penn State system (an older version than what they have now). It just makes life so much easier when dealing with sheet goods. BTW, I do have a drill press (a bench top model was one of my first power tools) but I don't have a bandsaw or mortiser.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-21-2005, 5:15 PM
I would also agree that a panel saw seems to be a slam dunk for you. I have the EZ system and it is great. If you do buy it, I would suggest getting the freedom package, it includes the smart table, which is a great addition.

You will also love the router tramel for it. I think that I like the router base for doing dados and sliding dovetails, better than I like it for plywood cuts.

Finally, any reason why you think you need the 150" model?

John Hulett
02-21-2005, 5:26 PM
Based on your list of upcoming projects, it seems that a panel cutting guide makes the most sense. The one I use consists of a 48" level and a couple of clamps.

Mike Cutler
02-21-2005, 6:39 PM
Fred. Lot's of Mission style furniture, means lots of M&T's. I'd go for the dedicated Mortiser with an XY, sliding vise mounted to it. Quite a bit of bandsawing in Mission Furniture also, to bookmatch the QS Oak. Not much use for a drill press tho'. A nice, very accurate panel guide can be made out of two 12" wide, 8' long pieces of MDF, a section of aluminum L stock, and 3 sheets of of 2" blue insulation board( about 20 bucks) if you already have the skill saw.It's zero clearance too. ;)

joseph j shields
02-21-2005, 6:59 PM
Hey Fred,

Instead of the panel saw you might want to consider the Joint-Ability from RBI http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/s/static/jointability_one/jointability_one.htm

I bought one 3 years ago and love it. It does more than a panel saw.... and the 8ft version only costs $279.

I use it to cut sheet goods.... They have a sled for a circular saw that cuts the panel 1/8" over.... then I grab my router for a quick trim pass... and now I have a great finished edge-ready to go!
I use this rather that a jointer for glue-ups. I trim the edges with a router and the glue lines are perfect. It really does work great.
I rate the jointability up there with my Kreg jig in the "it really works as advertised" category!

(No I don't work for RBI:rolleyes:)

-jj

Matt Meiser
02-21-2005, 7:16 PM
On the drill press, consider a bench top. I have a floor model, but for most things, its way overkill. Also, I have a "Clarke" brand from Tractor Supply. I think I paid $170. It doesn't do anything that a more expensive drill press would do and I haven't seen any accuracy problems. I put together a nice table with some scrap melamine and plywood and have never looked back.

On the drill press mortising attachments, I would recommend against them. The drill press just doesn't make a very good mortiser. The attachments are a pain to set up and take down, the included fences leave a lot to be desired, and the drill press doesn't give you the same leverage that the long handle on a mortiser does. I only kept mine a few months before upgrading it a dedicated mortiser. If I was starting over, I probably wouldn't even buy a bench top mortiser, but would use the router and a jig instead. I may still switch and sell my benchtop mortiser.

Fred Hubert
02-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I would also agree that a panel saw seems to be a slam dunk for you. I have the EZ system and it is great. If you do buy it, I would suggest getting the freedom package, it includes the smart table, which is a great addition.

You will also love the router tramel for it. I think that I like the router base for doing dados and sliding dovetails, better than I like it for plywood cuts.

Finally, any reason why you think you need the 150" model?I'm leaning toward the EZ system -- I can justify the bandsaw and mortiser/router mortising jig later. I was envisioning keeping 2 rails together and one separate, but had ruled it out as not cost-effective. Then for whatever reason the 150 stuck in my head...

~ Fred

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 12:26 AM
You actually don't need either to make mortises if you have a router. Maurice
Or some chisels and a mallet -- and more experience and/or hand-eye coodination than I have at the moment, but that's beside the point. :p

Mike Holbrook
02-22-2005, 1:03 AM
I think the Easy Smart is for you too. I am about to make a bunch of cabinets too. All that plywood to cut, and it needs to be precise.

If you want to save some money you can build the plywood cutting saw horses. They are very stable, important if you are not as young as you use to be and have to move a bunch of large sheets on & off the sawing table.

I just got the two guide kit.

Doug Shepard
02-22-2005, 7:29 AM
If I had to rank them by which one I would miss the most if you took it out of my shop, I'd have to go with the drill press. There just ain't no substiture for being able to drill precise holes to a desired depth or angle. You CAN use it for mortising too (w/out a mortising attachment), but the MM machine can't really step in and substitute for a drill press. Plus there's the ability to chuck up sanding drums if you don't have a spindle sander.

My personal opinion on the mortise machine. I have one and it works well for what it does, but it's something I could have avoided buying. I'm much happier with the quality of the mortise I get using a router and spiral bit. I've been doing less and less mortising with the MM as time goes on.

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 7:40 AM
There is no doubt about it in my mind -the Panel Cutting Guide.

A GCSS (guided circular saw system) has made work for me much faster, more accurate, and safer. I now look forward to cutting up panels, whereas once I dreaded it. It has changed my work for the better more than any other tool that I have ever purchased or any woodworking technique/skill that I have mastered.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-22-2005, 8:43 AM
I'm leaning toward the EZ system -- I can justify the bandsaw and mortiser/router mortising jig later. I was envisioning keeping 2 rails together and one separate, but had ruled it out as not cost-effective. Then for whatever reason the 150 stuck in my head...

~ Fred

Fred,

The do advertise that you can do that on their website. I would think that you would need to be doing some serious panel work in a production shop not to be able to loosen the 2 allen screws to take the two peices apart and put them back together :) At that point, you will want a dedicate panel saw anyway.

The thing that I wish they made was about a 30" rail... I do all my dado's with it now and the 30" rail would be easier to use than the 50".

Anyways... hope you get to talk to Dino about your new system soon! Check out the freedom package, it includes everything you need! If you don't get that, make sure to get the clamps and the router base... they are both great!

Jeff

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Fred,
The thing that I wish they made was about a 30" rail... I do all my dado's with it now and the 30" rail would be easier to use than the 50".
Jeff
Festool makes a 800 mm rail which is just a little over 30 inches. :)

Fred Hubert
02-22-2005, 10:33 AM
The thing that I wish they made was about a 30" rail... I do all my dado's with it now and the 30" rail would be easier to use than the 50".Jeff,

They offer a 25" & 36" for purchase separately and list a 40" as part of a 'door trimming kit'.

~ Fred