PDA

View Full Version : Using only two jaws on a 4-jaw nova chuck

alfredo alamo
08-22-2011, 3:55 PM
Hello guys,

I have a Delta midi lathe that I bought to learn the basics of wood turning; wife permitting, after that I will be able to get a full size one. However, a this moment I have this crazy idea of making my own tobacco smoking pipe doing part of the work on the lathe. Reading a lot about that subject everybody agrees that a two-jaw chuck is the best way to go. Now reading a lot about some of the guys here doing their own wooden jaws, I wonder if I can make two wooden jaws and mounting them on the chuck. but the real question is can I use a 4-jaw lathe chuck to mount only these two jaws and remove the other two? will the chuck work the same? Thank you

Alfredo

ray hampton
08-22-2011, 4:15 PM
I not familiar with the Nova chuck but am interest in the answer to your question

Allan Ferguson
08-22-2011, 5:13 PM
I use the nova chuck, and would expect it to work. Just make sure you have a good grip on the work piece, I do not care to read about a turner with a project embedded in their head.

Bob Bergstrom
08-22-2011, 6:03 PM
There are a lot of variables here. Sounds like you are just beginning on the downward spiral of the vortex. First the chuck should be capable of doing two jar squeeze but it will launch the blank with very little encouragement. The hardness of the wood, the ability of the turner and what part of the pipe is being turned will play into the results. Additional safety may be the use of reinforced packaging tape. I would definitely use something to help prevent taking a shot in the head. Wear a face shield and aways stay out of the firing line.

Reed Gray
08-22-2011, 6:10 PM
I guess the proper question to ask here is what are you going to turn that would require only 2 jaws? The pipe bowl with the stem sticking out? They do turn out the inside of scoops, and spoons in a jam chuck similar to that. A wood end grain cylinder with band saw cuts down a ways, and one part cut out so the handle can stick through, then a hose clamp to tighten it back up again.

robo hippy

Tim Thiebaut
08-22-2011, 6:36 PM
It seems to me that turning a pipe like you are wanting to do is really just a small version of a scoop...at least the bowl and first part of the stem. Someone posted a link to Soren Berger turning a scoop just last week, seems like if you were to just scale down the process you would be well on your way to making a great looking pipe...

I found the video and will PM you the link, I am not sure if I am allowed to post it openly here, then you can decide if this will work for you on a smaller scale...

Jamie Donaldson
08-22-2011, 8:56 PM
It can be done well with only 2 jaws Alfredo, but I sincerely advise using only the extended jaw set (called "spigot jaws" by Nova) for a larger gripping capacity. And keep the speed down and the face shield up!

neil mackay
08-22-2011, 9:51 PM
Reading a lot about that subject everybody agrees that a two-jaw chuck is the best way to go. Now reading a lot about some of the guys here doing their own wooden jaws, I wonder if I can make two wooden jaws and mounting them on the chuck. but the real question is can I use a 4-jaw lathe chuck to mount only these two jaws and remove the other two? will the chuck work the same? Thank you

Alfredo
As long as you have contact with your piece that exceeds more the half the outside circumference it should be OK.

Keith Westfall
08-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Reading a lot about that subject everybody agrees that a two-jaw chuck is the best way to go.

Why would only 2 jaws be best? I'd be afraid of "lack of holding ability" if one experienced a bit of a catch...

Brian Weaver
08-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I have made several pipes and it is necessary to only use 2 jaws. This is because the shape of the block of wood you start out with is not square and also because even if it were you would not be turning in the center of the square. You have to off set your wood when you are turning the portion of pipe where the stem would attach. To answer the original question, I don't think wooden jaws would suffice as you really want to apply a lot of pressure to hold the wood so it does not become a projectile. The jaws that Jamie suggested are the best and safest way to go. This page http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Making contains a lot of basic info for anyone starting out.

alfredo alamo
08-24-2011, 3:02 PM
Thank you so much guys for all your help; you guys sure are a buch of great people and not all the forums are like that. Thank you. I will follow Jamie's recommendation and thank you for the videos that some of you sent me via PM. I appreciate your help.

Alfredo