PDA

View Full Version : ever wish something would break?

Ben Hatcher
08-22-2011, 2:45 PM
I spent last weekend planing down some 12" wide knotty pine boards with my DW764. I could barely take 1/16" off at a time without popping the breaker. Sure, I could have flipped the knives but there was no way I was going to waste the fresh edge on knotty boards. Perhaps I should have because I ended up melting the drive belt. That stupid belt is $32 and it is on back order! This is that odd instance where I kind of wish the belt were a lot more expensive and/or no longer made so I could justify getting a better planer with a spiral head.:rolleyes:

Rich Noterman
08-22-2011, 3:44 PM
Just do it anyway...............the economy needs your help

David Nelson1
08-22-2011, 3:47 PM
Just do it anyway...............the economy needs your help

ROFLMAO we all need this type of cheering section.

Larry Edgerton
08-22-2011, 7:14 PM
If it makes you feel better I threw a new pair of Wiss snips off the roof into the woods yesterday. I use snips to cut dimensional shingles and forgot my dedicated yard sale pair, so I bought some new ones as I was working on my house on Sunday. JUNK! Junk doesn't last long around me......

And I am not going to go pick them up.......

Larry

johnny means
08-22-2011, 11:27 PM
I've got this Dewalt DW705 miter saw, that just won't quit. I've been pounding on it for like 10 years now. I bought it when it was considered the cats meow. Still cuts dead aware in both planes and shows no signs of quitting anytime soon. I would really like that fancy new Bosch, but really can't justify spending $800 bucks when there is nothing wrong with the old saw. Now if it were to develop a little play...

Brian Kincaid
08-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I've got this Dewalt DW705 miter saw, that just won't quit. I've been pounding on it for like 10 years now. I bought it when it was considered the cats meow. Still cuts dead aware in both planes and shows no signs of quitting anytime soon. I would really like that fancy new Bosch, but really can't justify spending $800 bucks when there is nothing wrong with the old saw. Now if it were to develop a little play...

Johnny, don't forget: new is not necessarily better
There are probably 1000's of folks that would love a miter saw that is dead square.
:)
-Brian

Don Jarvie
08-24-2011, 4:27 PM
Ben, do you use your planer alot? If you do it might be time for a stationary one. Look at planers in the 12 to 15 inch range. My Belsaw 12 inch with a 3hp motor would make quick work of those boards. I could easily take off an 1/8th and the machine wouldn't break a sweat.

Tony Zaffuto
08-24-2011, 4:37 PM

Got the same saw for about the same time. It is a very dear friend!