PDA

View Full Version : Planer Knife Replacement Question

Mark Kelly 92040
08-22-2011, 2:06 PM
I just bought a knock-off 15" planer (Oasis Machinery Model P1015) from a Craigslist ad for $275. Overall it is in pretty good shape, but at some point rodents built a nest in the cutter head which left the expected spots of rust. I've cleaned up the cutter head rust but have decided it's a good idea to replace the knives since one was pretty badly rusted and another has a gouge. The blades I removed are 15 1/8" x 1" x 1/8" but most of the HSS replacement blades are 15" x1" x1/8". I've looked at the T1 blades that Holbren sells and they indicate that there really isn't an issue using those other than losing the extra 1/8" cutting width.

What is the consensus on the 15" vs the 15 1/8" blades? Should I look for ones that match the originals, or go with the 15" ones?

I also need to replace the gear box oil. Where can I get said gear oil? Would an auto parts store carry it? And on the subject of lubrication - are there any recommendations for lube for the Worm gears in the columns that won't attract dirt and sawdust?

Thanks,

Mark

Walter Plummer
08-22-2011, 3:47 PM
Don't sweat the 1/8". The knives are usually not dead on anyway. Set one knife in the center and offset the other two right and left if you really want the 15 1/8".

Mark Kelly 92040
08-22-2011, 7:56 PM
Thanks, Walter.

I went ahead and ordered the knives from Holbren.

Mark

Russ Massery
08-22-2011, 8:50 PM
T-1 is about the best steel for planer knives.Here's where I buy mine http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/knives-planer/t1-hss-planer-knife-sets.html
As far as gear lube 80W-90 from a auto parts store should work fine. All other moving parts I use spray dry graphite. I lubricates and after it dries doesn't attract dust. http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Graphite-Lube-Oz-Spray/dp/B000AYJ0ZW

Trevor Walsh
08-22-2011, 9:12 PM
I use paste wax on tablesaw trunnions and other dust collecting slidey bits.

Jerome Hanby
08-23-2011, 8:51 AM
What a great suggestion! I've done that on a jointer to work around nicks, never thought about using the same technique to fix width...

Don't sweat the 1/8". The knives are usually not dead on anyway. Set one knife in the center and offset the other two right and left if you really want the 15 1/8".